2018 ST-Line Keyless Entry - Be Aware - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-18, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2018 ST-Line Keyless Entry - Be Aware

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum on behalf of my wife. We just purchased a new 2018 ST-Line 125 black with the tiger eye roof, keyless entry and B&O sound system. Thought I would share our experience with the car to date.

Test drive was excellent and we were very impressed with both power delivery and handling, we opted for the grey standard ST-Line wheels for two reasons, for the comfort and the fact my wife likes kerbs and the standard alloys are less prone to damage and easier to repair. We really wanted the convenience of the keyless entry which I have on my 2017 Mondeo Titanium X pack.

When we collected the vehicle we were disappointed to find some issues with the paint finish on the rear bumper, its booked into the garage next Monday to have the blooming buffed out, lets see how that goes?

On the very first day my wife took the family shopping, on returning to the car she walked to the boot and opened it, placed the shopping inside and closed the door. The key was inside her bag in the boot. Now you can guess, the passenger doors would not open and neither would the boot. Not a great start to life with the Ecosport. I had to travel to her with the spare key.

When home i tested the system and every time the key was locked in the boot. Contacted Evans Halshaw Leicester and they stated all the other Ecosport are the same so it must be designed that way, its not a fault. Typical poor Ford service.

When I do the same with my Mondeo and my brothers Fiesta this does not happen, the doors open immediately as it senses the keys are inside when the boot closes. So my next step is to contact Ford HQ to see if they want to help, if not I will look for an aftermarket solution.

Will keep you in the loop with progress but if you have this option be aware.

Regards

Paulski
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-18, 03:56 PM

Yes the key in out of the ES has its let downs, posted a issue I had some months ago the cars not good at letting you know that the keys not in the car with or without you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-18, 05:48 PM

Garage
Having a 2016 base Zetec model, I just have the normal press fob buttons for door opening and closing.Not keyless. Thank goodness.

I note that the new 2018 base Zetec model does not have keyless ststem either, though all trims above that do have keyless system.

Keyless entry in all makes of cars does have its faults, including leaving keys in the car (in handbag etc) can leave you locked out if you close the doors from outside, or can leave the car left unlocked when you walk away without the fob, but you think it is locked..

Also thiefs can transpond (piggyback to give more distance) the codes from outside your house direct to the car and open doors and start engines by cloning the codes, via the Diagnostic plug, once i the car. it can be gone from your drive in half a minute.

I personally think the convenience of keyless entry systems is outweighed by the problems with it, regarding security and door locking/unlocking problems.

I once had to borrow my sisters Toyota Aventis and she told me it was keyless entry system, and once I was parked in a carpark, I walked away, put down the fob, and walked back to the car and check it was actually locked, and then went back to get the fob and walked away

I just cannot trust the system.

Last edited by colinJYD; 12-05-18 at 05:58 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-05-18, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

My experience is quite different up until now, both our previous 2010 Kuga Titanium X and my current Mondeo the keyless entry system was excellent.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-05-18, 03:36 PM

Garage
Don't worry about what I say, I am just an old foggy, and like things in cars to be basic, so there is less to go wrong

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page