Eco Sport Titanium Auto - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-01-19, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Eco Sport Titanium Auto

My wife picked up her new Titanium Auto a few weeks ago and so far most things have been to her liking except for the Auto box - would be interested to hear from other Auto owners their opinions.

The issue she is having is that the box seems to want to change from 1 to 2 at around 3000 RPM, as a result the engine is making its self quiet vocal by that point, in fact this happens when changing from 2 to 3, you can get round this by being very gentle with the throttle but progress is very slow.

Have any other auto owners noticed this or is there a fault somewhere?

Thanks
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-01-19, 05:03 AM

To be frank I had not noticed this behaviour on our Titanium Auto. I am sure I would have noticed if it was behaving as yours. I would add that for the first 1000 miles or so, it was a bit notchy. One has to be careful about other peoples driving habits but is your Wife a sedate driver or get up and go? I have noticed that when emerging from car parks into a fairly busy road, giving the throttle a bit of welly, not only does the car get a move on but it hangs onto first. I compare the Ford box with the Japco box ( used in Jaguars, Porche and a few others) fitted to our V6 Rover and although I have read some criticism of the Ford box I am more than happy with it.
My suggestion is get a few miles on the clock and if you are still unhappy, take it back to the dealer. It could after all be a case of tweaking the software.
My Wife and I were very anti Ford but this Ecosport has sure changed our minds.
Good motoring.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-01-19, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, yes my wife is more sedate than eager shall we say!

Her previous car was a Fiesta Auto with same engine and this behaviour never seemed to happen, As you have not encountered this I`m thinking there maybe a software fault so I will leave it until 1000 miles are completed and return to dealer to investigate.

It`s spoiling an otherwise very good car.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 16-01-19, 06:55 AM

Yesterday we had to use the car and so I took particular note of gear changes and the revs at which they occurred. On leaving home, it appeared to change from 1st to 2nd at just below 3000 revs. When the engine had warmed up, on slopes and the flat from stationary changing from 1st to 2nd appeared to do so at just over 2000 revs. This was over some 12 miles of both country and town driving. Hope this helps. Unfortunately being deaf I cannot help on engine noise inside the car, all I can say is it appears to be no noisier than our old Rover and certainly quieter than the Honda Jazz EX ( top range) which had an Ishift transmission. Electronic clutch and gear change.( manual clutch and manual gearbox) with no clutch pedal. After this the Ford box is superb.

It might be after a few miles, all settle down. Our car has now done a tad under 4000 miles.

As you say a very good car.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-01-19, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Freddyford, that was very useful information, ours changes from 1st to 2nd at 3000rpm whether the engine is cold or warm.

I think we will leave it until its done 1000 miles and see if its settled down, otherwise a trip to the dealer it is!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-19, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quick update as we've been back to dealers, spoke to a technician who said several other owners had reported the same issue, the upshot was that's how they all drive!

Seems pretty poor to me, can`t believe Ford signed off a car that has driveability issues. As it was purchased with privilege we will have to wait 9 months to change it, going to try an auto Fiesta hoping that drives better.

So no one else on here has an auto then?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-19, 12:51 PM

Garage
I only buy manual boxes now. This problem of an auto box deciding on when to gear shift was the reason I went back to manual boxes as the human brain can make better and far smoother change than an auto box.

Ok, we has some people disabled on here, who have to have an auto box obviously, but after my carry on with a 4 speed Suzuki Vitara auto box, I never bought one again. It was hunting on the motorway from 3rd to 4th all the time on the flat for absolutely no reason. I eventually traded it in for a manual box Vitara at a big loss in cash, as it was the days before you could reject a duff car.

In your case, if the Ecosport has a manual + and - shift, I would drive it on this manual mode, as you should be able to get from 1st to 2nd in less than 3000 rpm, as the human brain can work out the changes far better than any computer.

Also what finished it for me with a true auto box is that you have to brake a lot more to get the autobox to go down the gears to a stop. This meant new brake pads far more often than a manual box car.

So there are advantages (no clutch pedal) and disadvantages with an auto box, and a lot is to due with subjectivity whether you think the gears are changing at the right time, and its why I do not like an autobox, and prefer a manual change.

PS...is there no way Ford can program the autobox to change into 2nd quicker to avoid 3000 rpm?

Last edited by colinJYD; 03-04-19 at 12:54 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-19, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I think the problems with this auto box (In the Ecosport) are due to the relatively low torque produced probably higher up the rev range & apparently Ford changed the box as it`s now fitted with a torque converter.

Certainly my wifes previous car (Fiesta) never behaved like this albeit only had 100BHP against the 125 in the Ecosport which should have compensated for the extra bulk to lug around.

Lesson learnt, ALLWAYS have a test drive first, don`t assume it will drive as you might expect!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-19, 07:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec View Post
....Lesson learnt, ALLWAYS have a test drive first, don`t assume it will drive as you might expect!
Your right. In my case I had to order the Suzuki Vitara auto without driving one as it was a new car at the time, so there were no auto demonstrators. So I lost out big time getting rid of it in just four months.

As for the Ecosport well it is heavier than a car and with the small 1.0 engine, so the characteristics of moving with an autobox will be different. But I still think 3000 RPM rather excessive just to get to second gear.

If I was you, I would still want other Ecosport auto owners to come forward here or another Ford car forum website and state getting into 2nd gear needs these high rev's. Just to prove you have no fault.

Have you tried the car on manual mode as I stated, to see if you can get into second gear with lesser revs?

PS...When i am in my Wife's Smart car (Fortwo) it has an automated clutch, no clutch pedal, which can be run on auto mode or +/- manual shift mode. I only drive it in manual shift mode, as its smoother and can change into gear faster with less rev's. But my wife being lazy, just drivers it in auto mode, which to me is not smooth and has a noticeable power lag when changing gear by itself.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-19, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinJYD View Post
If I was you, I would still want other Ecosport auto owners to come forward here or another Ford car forum website and state getting into 2nd gear needs these high rev's. Just to prove you have no fault..
I was hoping more owners would come forward, can`t believe there's so few auto box`s out there, maybe they are a little shy!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page