New owner (2019, automatic, ST-Line) - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-07-19, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New owner (2019, automatic, ST-Line)

Just bought my first new car.
  • Ford EcoSport ST-Line 1.0 EcoBoost 125PS
  • Petrol
  • Automatic (has gear paddles, so is probably a semi-automatic?)
  • Magnetic paint
  • Comfort Pack (heated seats and steering wheel)
  • Rear Privacy Glass
I traded in my 2012 Peugeot 308 diesel semi-automatic (£3000) and, on Ford's 38-month (3-year) PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) plan, I'm paying £245 per month.

I hope that's considered a good price?

It'll arrive later in the week (or early next week).

In many ways, it's not as good as my Peugeot 308 was. Far worse fuel economy, smaller tank (52l vs 60l), worse emissions (140 g/km vs 98 g/km), less cylinders, less valves and a smaller boot (430l vs. 356l) but oh well, I could only afford up to £250 per month and my 308 needed to go.

On the flip side, it's covered by a warranty during the time I have it (no repair stresses) and has more technology inside (well, the touchscreen (they're always rubbish) and heated seats/steering wheel).

I got 54 MPG out of my 308 on average (link). Let's see how the puny petrol engine does (link).

Last edited by King Mustard; 30-07-19 at 05:15 AM.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-07-19, 07:35 AM

If it is a new model then the gearbox is fully automatic. The 'puny' engine will surprise you when its done a few miles and loosens up, unfortunately the fuel consumption is not that brilliant as being an auto box there is always a cost. I also think when you have had it for a little while you will be pleased.
You mention the flappy paddles, they do work but make sure you get them the right way round, make sure you use the up for up and down for down. May seem obvious but it is easy until one is used to them to get it wrong. Your gearbox has a sport mode, when you have done a few miles and wish to overtake, slip it into 'S' and give it some throttle and you will forget it's only a 3 cylinder 125bhp.
Good motoring. As to cost I have a Motability car so my deal is pretty good.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-07-19, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyford View Post
If it is a new model then the gearbox is fully automatic. The 'puny' engine will surprise you when its done a few miles and loosens up, unfortunately the fuel consumption is not that brilliant as being an auto box there is always a cost. I also think when you have had it for a little while you will be pleased.
You mention the flappy paddles, they do work but make sure you get them the right way round, make sure you use the up for up and down for down. May seem obvious but it is easy until one is used to them to get it wrong. Your gearbox has a sport mode, when you have done a few miles and wish to overtake, slip it into 'S' and give it some throttle and you will forget it's only a 3 cylinder 125bhp.
Good motoring. As to cost I have a Motability car so my deal is pretty good.
Thank you for your reply

To me, 123 bhp / 170 Nm torque is on the low end of the spectrum but I couldn't afford anything higher for now, so it'll do nicely enough.

I didn't know you could manually change gears with a non-semi automatic automatic gearbox.

The poor fuel consumption is mainly down to it being a petrol engine, rather than it having an automatic gearbox but it probably doesn't help that it's an automatic gearbox.

I was in an ST-Line model in the Ford showroom and I couldn't see an S button. I hope, when mine arrives, it has one.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 30-07-19, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
Thank you for your reply

To me, 123 bhp / 170 Nm torque is on the low end of the spectrum but I couldn't afford anything higher for now, so it'll do nicely enough.

I didn't know you could manually change gears with a non-semi automatic automatic gearbox.

The poor fuel consumption is mainly down to it being a petrol engine, rather than it having an automatic gearbox but it probably doesn't help that it's an automatic gearbox.

I was in an ST-Line model in the Ford showroom and I couldn't see an S button. I hope, when mine arrives, it has one.
I asked some questions when I went to pay the deposit today (I get it in a few days time).

It's definitely a full automatic gearbox (though it goes have the flappy paddles) and it does not have a Sport button, even though I have the highest-end automatic version in the UK. Must be a feature of the manual versions only in the UK?

Here's it in the car park (pre-inspection and clean-up):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190730_181559-thumb.jpg (225.0 KB, 7 views)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 31-07-19, 07:06 AM

That certainly is smart. We used to have a Rover45 V6 Auto and that had the normal positions for auto. DNRP and also by moving the lever had M 1to 5 ( manual). It also had a snow button which locked the box in 2nd. It was fitted to Porches,Jaguar, some Ford and a few others. It was an excellent auto box until it went wrong. As to the Ford box to be honest I haven't looked I have just used the flappy paddles, next time I am out I will make a point of checking the instrument panel to see if it indicates the gear selected. . As to the Sport mode, all I can say is perhaps Ford have changed the auto boxes which is a pity. I would ask did the salesman appear knowledgeable? When we looked at ours one didn't know if it was a proper auto or the ill fated semi auto dual clutch job.

Whatever I still think Ford have done a good job with this vehicle. I am sorry to say, the finish is better than the Honda we got rid of to get the Ford.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 31-07-19, 02:31 PM

Garage
I am not well up of modern automatic's, but my wifes Smart fortwo has flappy paddles and as its an automated clutch rather than a true automatic (no clutch peddle), you can drive it auto mode or manual mode +/-, and in manual mode when you hit a paddle it changes the gear right away no matter what speed or road conditions, so can be a bit hairy

So getting back to the Ecosport if it is a full automatic, then the flappy paddles may work differently by hitting the paddle shift and there being a short delay in changing gear only when speed and road conditions met.

Freddy, could answer you that, if that is the case. or if it is an instant change like my wifes Fortwo.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-19, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

@freddyford, would you possibly be able to take a photo of your Sport button for me? Curious where it is and what's on mine in the same location.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-19, 10:24 AM

Sorry I am computer illiterate BUT I can tell you where the S is, starting at the top of the gate is P R N D then at the bottom is a letter 'S' All the letters are on the right hand side of the gear change area. My Wife no longer drives but even She has remarked on the use of the Sport mode and the difference in oomph!Imagine the hump between the front seats, in that is the 'gear' lever starting at the top the letters are arranged on the right of the gear lever as follows

P
R
N
D
S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-19, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyford View Post
Sorry I am computer illiterate BUT I can tell you where the S is, starting at the top of the gate is P R N D then at the bottom is a letter 'S' All the letters are on the right hand side of the gear change area. My Wife no longer drives but even She has remarked on the use of the Sport mode and the difference in oomph!Imagine the hump between the front seats, in that is the 'gear' lever starting at the top the letters are arranged on the right of the gear lever as follows

P
R
N
D
S
Ooh, it's part of the "gear stick" rather than a separate button! I didn't look there. I'll check when I pick up my car on Saturday afternoon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page