Ford Ecosport Forum banner

OBD2 scanners and software: which ones do you use?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jadenfrancis 
#1 ·
I've been thinking about picking one up to peek under the hood of my F150, but I'm not sure what to get, price versus performance and all. And what about a good app for my phone/tab?

#2 · (Edited)
Cheap OBII....
To check for fault codes and cancel the engine management light, I just bought a cheapo OBII reader for under a tenner off Ebay. As mine is cheap you only get the OBII code or codes, and then you have to check on the Internet what the code means, but its fine for me, and has sorted out my Wifes Smart car many a time, and has saved me from having big bills from a garage to investigate and sort, and likely charge me lots of cash to do that.

It is also good to read a fault code if the engine management light comes on, so you have some idea of what the fault is, before going to a garage to get it fixed, if you cannot do so yourself, so they do not cheat you by stating there are lots of different expensive faults instead of a simple one. One example was that my Wifes Smart car only needed a new air filter at £8 fitted at home, after checking the code and resetting the engine management light, as the engine was saying it did not get enough air in. That could have been a lot of money at the repair garage, and I would not have been any the wiser.

Dearer OBII....
You can buy dearer OBII readers that gives you the code(s), and the fault details with an English description of the fault(s), to save you looking at the Internet.

Also there are all sorts of OBII scanner car software available for different things, like diagnostic programs to sort faults, modifying the cars computer software, and even OBII dongles that transfer in real time additional engine information onto your smart phone (fixed to the dash), so you get more info on the engine on the move.
https://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/o...-scanner-for-iphone-ipad-android-windows.html

I am not sure what type of software you want to use, there are plenty OBII kits on Ebay, all at different prices.

Here is my OBII reader, its a Maxiscan MS309, cost less than £10, and has paid for itself, over and over, to solve faults....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.