Humming noise - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 14-04-18, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Humming noise

Hi Iíve got a 16 plate ecosport with a humming noise at 50-60 mph been back to dealers
Supposedly replaced wheel brgs but still got the noise can you please help me out because itís driving me mad ?
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-12-18, 04:32 PM

Hi there Daveybrom65
Did you ever find out what your humming noise was, or where it was coming from ? as i own a 2017 ecosport with the same problem, and was wondering if you could enlighten me, has like you, it is driving me mad too !!
Hoping you can help me regarding this matter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-12-18, 07:49 AM

I have to admit to a noise that I cannot identify at certain speeds. I had read somewhere that the Ecosport suffers with wind noise at certain speeds. Thinking back, I had to have a new tyre on the rear and the noise changed SO is it tyre noise?
The car was fitted with Goodyear from new and the replacement is a Bridgestone.
What I like about the Goodyears is they have a rib around the wall that stops kerbing the alloys, if you are unfortunate enough to come into contact with a kerb.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 24-12-18, 08:56 AM

Hi freddyford,
Many thanks for your input but i have had two brand new tyres fitted on the rear, also both rear wheel bearings checked and still get the humming noise no change, which only occurs at 60 m.p.h. My ecosport has no under engine cover, has yours? i have purchased a full length sump/engine guard to stop any wind coming up through the engine compartment to try and eliminate the problem. I will let you know the results once fitted.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-12-18, 05:41 AM

I have looked this am and no there is no sump/engine guard. I must admit to being surprised as I thought these days these guards were standard fitment to help the manufacturers fuel figures by creating a smooth under belly.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 26-12-18, 06:25 PM

maybe Ford cost cutting again like having no spare wheel, instead just a useless gum kit. I have purchased a genuine ecosport alloy space saver as a spare, ( at least won't be stuck waiting for roadside assistance to turn up ) but hey presto, no well in the boot to put it in !! absolutely barmy idea, so in the boot it sits, strapped in. Not very well thought out by Ford India, as a spare wheel is paramount in any car, maybe they will wake up for the next revamped model only time will tell.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 30-01-19, 12:17 PM

Garage
On the earlier model (2016 -2017) before the facelift they did offer as an extra a full sized alloy contained on the back door as my car here....Some people like the idea, others do not.

On latter date cars Ford do offer a spare with half cover on the back of the rear door, do not know the price though.

On the Indian market Ecosport they offer this interesting cover...

Last edited by colinJYD; 30-01-19 at 12:23 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-19, 09:35 PM

Like the look of yours Colin! wonder what the price would be to have it done after sales?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-19, 04:44 PM

Hi Giddy up, where did you get your space saver wheel from? Also what jack do you use if you carry one, as the Eco is fairly high up.Are the nuts 18mm? for a tyre wrench.
Thank you.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-19, 08:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys2cars View Post
Like the look of yours Colin! wonder what the price would be to have it done after sales?
I got it factory fitted as an extra at the time 2016, and it was £150.

But i have seen the cover alone go for £99 new on ebay recently. (Unpainted)
You would also have to buy the bolt on kit that fits the door, and also the full sized wheel. guess around £200

So thats £299 if doing it yourself (DIY), and for Ford to do it, Ford mechanic rates is over £100/hour, so add 1.5 hr onto that for fitment

You might find a breakers yard via ebay or locally, offering the whole bolt on kit, tyre, and cover for cheaper.

Best and cheapest Solution for yourself: Just strap down a spacesaver in the boot. Spacesaver around £110 upwards from ebay, depending on wheel size required.

Last edited by colinJYD; 10-02-19 at 08:38 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page