Considering an Ecosport - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-19, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Considering an Ecosport

For those reading this and considering an Ecosport with the new reg 19 coming up, I will give you some insight into what it is like to own one.

Lets get the negative comments out the way first
First of all, all the car reviewers call it a small SUV, I would rather say its medium sized, as there is plenty room inside the cabin and boot space is adequate, for golf clubs, baby pram etc, though back seats goes down if you have larger items.

The one bad thing about the car is getting used to the front A pillars on the windscreen as they are massively wide and the triangular piece of glass is next to useless and causes more of a blind spot. Once you get used to some head jiggling to see round these two blindspots then the car is fine. (Just wonder why they had to be so thick, suppose its down to safety).

Note that on some models, roof bars are not included and are an extra (I had to pay more for these), though they can be aftermarket fitted as they are just bolt on. I would recommend the roof bars with the car, if you are into carrying push bikes like me, or wanting to carry holiday luggage on holiday with a roof box, they are good to have.

Also you do not get a spare wheel that is extra. On my 2016 model you got the full sized spare with wheel cover on the back of the car as an extra, but now with the new shaped facelift models (late 2017 onwards) you can get a spacesaver tyre that goes in the boot as an extra. You can buy this on Ebay or from Fords at a later date if you wish.

OK, now on to the good stuff....
The car can now be offers in a 1.0 three cylinder petrol engine or a 1.5 eco diesel, though the majority of Ecosport drivers buy the 1.0 petrol, due to the obvious reasons that the government are trying to get us off diesels in the near future, plus there are some technical issues with EU6 diesels being more complex, ie, adblue is needed and oil and filter changes more frequent. (I have the 1.5 petrol which was on offer in 2016, but no longer available on the facelift model).

Automatics are available and there is one variant with 4x4 drive. Though I believe only one owner on here has mentioned he is getting a 4x4, the rest of us are happy enough with 2 wheel drive for normal road use.

Even the most basic model has a lot of extras and is well made and all come with alloy wheels.
Of course costs go up as you go for higher trim models, (as usual).

Reliablity is real good for a Ford and in my three years of driving this car, I have only had one fault and it was self inflicted, I forgot to put low temp screen wash in the wash bottle for wipers, and the pipes froze and one connector popped with the ice and so my rear wash sprung a leak in the cabin roof, (Ford fixed it under warranty, and said nothing except to remember me to put in low temperature screen wash next time DOH)

Fuel consumption in the 1.0 petrol is around 44 MPG on average , I get around 42 MPG in my 1.5 petrol. Diesel will be in the higher 50's MPG or more. Car is easy to drive, steering nice and light, clutch pedal light and gear change smooth enough. Seats are comfortable for a long run (I have cloth, so cannot say for leather seats).

Controls are easy to use and reach, again cannot say for new shaped facelift model except it has more electronic displays and gadgets. Overall a very easy and pleasant to drive SUV. UK Road tax is £140 on most models.

On a final note, the only thing I have against the new facelift Ecosport is the cost, (as all new car costs have risen somewhat). As when I bought the 2016 model it was what I thought at a reasonable price for a medium sized SUV. Now, to buy a new shaped facelift model I would rather consider a demonstrator model or a pre-registered model to get the costs down but still have a nearly new car. Also some new car websites like carwow, etc, can offer around 10% or more discount if you do not mind traveling a distance to get the cheapest priced car. The other option is to lease rather then buy. Anyway, which ever way you finance the car, you will find its a good car to have

PS...If any facelift owner wants to add any more comments on their version, please do.

Last edited by colinJYD; 01-03-19 at 04:30 PM.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-19, 05:32 PM

Hi you said adblue is needed on a diesel, what is this for? I have a 1.5 diesel, 2015
Thanks
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-19, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyecosport View Post
Hi you said adblue is needed on a diesel, what is this for? I have a 1.5 diesel, 2015,
Thanks
OK I agree, Yours is an EU5 emissions diesel, hence no adblue.

I was taking EU6 emissions on the facelift diesel model late 2017 onwards, which has adblue and more burn cycles through the DPF filter to meet new emissions. Possible Oil and filter needs changed more often due to oil dilution by more burn cycles, Now a common problem on most EU6 diesels.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-19, 03:18 PM

So sounds like the modern diesels are more of a handful then, it seems. Suppose that why a lot of people going petrol now.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-19, 08:12 AM

We have a 2018 Titanium automatic. We were never Ford enthusiasts but having looked around we decided whilst the Kuga looked the business after looking at the Ecosport, we decided to make the leap.I hasten to add we did not buy the car, it is leased under the Motability scheme, I asked the salesman about the gearbox which on earlier models was the double clutch type semi auto which has cost Ford a lot of money. We were assured the facelift model had a proper auto box.
After 4500 miles the gearbox does it's job very well, in fact most of the time I forget there is a gearbox, changes are smooth and come at the right time. I have to admit I have not tried the 'Sport' setting nor the flappy paddles. Quite honestly I have not felt the need. A couple of days ago coming out of a blind junction onto a bend in 60mph road, I just floored the pedal and the car just got a move on changing gear at the correct moment, hanging onto gears to give that little bit of oomph. Colin has mentioned all the other bits and when asked in a car park about the Ecosport I told the asker that I would recommend the car without question. I was asked about the 3 cylinder engine and lack of power, well there is none. All right don't expect to overtake at 60mph like a Ferrari but it is no sluggard. I frequently forget it is only a 1 ltr engine.
Perhaps if I could understand the Sync 3 better I might get even more enjoyment but hey what the heck, don't look at it if you want an honest so called SUV go for it. One matter, the auto box like all auto boxes is a bit thirstier than the manual. Last time I checked it was averaging 37 mpg mixed town and dual carriageway work.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-19, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
An autobox usually gives less MPG than the manual Ecosport, (about 2 or 3 MPG less) but many people like autos for easy use with the gears, and no clutch pedal.

my wife has a Smart car and it uses an automated clutch, no clutch pedal, unlike the true autobox of the Ecosport, I find it ok but a bit jerky if on automatic mode, I feel the jerk of the gear change, but a lot smoother doing manual mode + and - shifts with the flappy paddles or gearstick. Yes, a smart car with F1 racing paddles on an 800cc engine, 0 to 60 MPH eventually

Freddy, i did not realise the Ecosport auto has flappy paddles on the steering wheel, interesting to know, at least the option is there to work the gears in manually mode if you feels like being an F1 driver occasionally LOL.

Talking about using more fuel, well you can also lose 2 MPG on the Ecosport continually using the climate control A/C, though I think that is a comfort that we would rather use and accept

One complaint about climate control has been continiously hunting between hot and cold to get to required cabin temperature. It should stabilize when required cabin temperature reached, but sometimes it does not, and hunts (no idea why), But the solution is simple, is to crack a window open slightly, and it will just continiously run cold as it then never can reach desired cabin temperature. Very useful on hot days, if that hunting occurs.

Last edited by colinJYD; 03-03-19 at 10:11 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-19, 05:10 AM

We had flappy paddles on the Jazz, as it had the dreaded often hated Honda Ishift. My Wife hated it but I did manage to master it to a degree. The flappy paddles on the Honda were useful in a certain place. We have to make a 100 mile round trip using the A30. When joining the A30 at Fraddon eastbound it is uphill and there is virtually no run in and so one has to get a move on especially in the Summer when this part of the world is busy. With the Ecosport, I just wait for a gap and floor the accelerator. Although the engine is only 1 ltr, turbocharged I know but the auto box just hangs onto the gears enabling not to incur the wroth of motorists on the A30.I can't say it is as swift as our our 2ltr V6 but it is no sluggard.
As to the climate control, whether we are just fortunate I know not but it seems to be very good at getting an even temperature.No hunting. However, when we use the controls to direct it to the screen, it goes into some mode that turns the temperature up to maximum. Now that we have got used to it, it is a nuisance nothing more. Nothing is perfect BUT I think Ford have done a pretty good job.
As an aside yesterday, in the supermarket car park was alongside to us a white Kuga and just across a blue Edge. Family get together.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-19, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
They have likely solved the climate control 'hunting' issues on the new facelift model, like your.

Usually customer feedback to Ford, helps address these issues, if many have complained about it, and sort it out on newer cars.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-19, 07:34 AM

Thanks for that very helpful review Colin.. Your point about the pillars is well made. When I test drove the car yesterday, everything was so new that I was only subconsciously aware that the pillars blocked the view a bit.. but that's a small price to pay. It's only recently that I worked out what this car was - I've been seeing it out on the roads a lot here.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-19, 11:45 AM

I've just found a balanced video review of the facelifted Ecosport.. This is more like it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page