Couple of questions before ordering.. - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-03-19, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Couple of questions before ordering..

We're that close to ordering an Ecosport Titanium with the 125bhp petrol engine.. We test drove a Sport model yesterday with stiffer suspension and 17" wheels and my wife found the ride a bit hard. We have a VW Tiguan at the moment and the typically firm ride is one of its very few downsides. Can anyone tell me what the ride of the Titanium model with more compliant suspension and 15" wheels is like? I know - it's all very subjective but I'd appreciate someone's views of the ride if at all possible.
Also, can the Titanium model (with rear view camera) carry a reduced size spare wheel under the floor in the back?
Finally, what do people think are the downsides of this car - if any? I was very impressed when I drove the Sport model yesterday. Unfortunately the local garage doesn't have a Titanium version in with 15" wheels.
Thanks in advance.
Geoff
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-19, 10:29 AM

Well Geoff 64, we have a 2018 Titanium with an auto box. You do not say if you will buying new or S/H. When we went to try the Ecosport all they had was a ST with a manual box. Despite some years since driving a manual I had no problems. As to ride coming from a Jazz with cart springs for suspension we find the Titanium very comfortable. The test drive in the ST ( bigger engine) was on rough roads but I cannot honestly remember the ride being harsh. I think you will find the wheels are 17 inch, again after the 16inch on the Honda there is no comparison. There are reports of leaning in corners, well I find you have to really push it into a corner to get it to lean. Perhaps the seats being very grippey help I see you are in France, perhaps the Euro version is different but as the Ecosport is made in Romania I should think it would be the same spec. It does depend on what engine you have in the VW but the 1 ltre Ecoboost is no sluggard. The blind spot created by the thick A frame pillars I do not notice as the Honda had them and so I am just very careful. I cannot answer your query about the spare wheel but if it is under the floor it would not interfere. It is possible a spare cannot be mounted under the floor and if you go for the rear door mounting, it will obstruct the camera. Some I believe lose some boot space and carry the spare wheel there. As to downside, Colin has done a pretty comprehensive write up. My two moans are the parcel shelf, which even after nearly a year this old fool forgets to lower it after loading the boot and the top of the door is a good head cracker if you are loading the boot from the left hand side. Not much to put up with in an otherwise pretty good vehicle. I speak as a person that was not a liker of Fords and I have driven a few in my years, I have had to change my opinion. Personally I think the Titanium is the best bet as it gives you the little extras without paying for an ST. If you want the posh bits then go for the ST. but the Titanium is quite well fitted out. Good luck with your choice.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-19, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Freddy - sorry, I should've said we're looking at a new one. I've been reading the reviews on the What Car? site and having driven the car, I don't share their negativity. My view is that their drivers test drive their cars to the limit - so their view of good roadholding is not mine. Me? As a fully signed up member of the old fool club, I drive normally - no body lean, howling tyres, 0-60 dashes.. etc etc. That's all in the past!
The punchy engine impressed me too. (our Tiguan is a 2 litre 150bhp diesel)
We're trying to find a Ford dealer around here who has a Titanium spec in stock with the softer suspension. We were told it was made in Romania too - as is the UK model.
The spare wheel issue is still not resolved. I would have thought that a space saver spare wheel would fit under the floor..
The Tiguan also has thick A frame pillars..
Many thanks
Geoff

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-19, 12:02 PM

Good luck in your quest. I am surprised that you are moving from a VW as we are constantly told of the superiority of VW and it's finish. I am afraid looking under the back end is no longer possible as my old frame is knackered but there does seem to be a void there and perhaps a knowledgeable mechanic might somehow fit a space saver under the rear floor.
I don't know how many miles your test car had managed but the engine gets freer after about 3000 miles.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-19, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

The reason I'm changing the Tiguan TDi is that it's clear that the days for diesels in France are numbered. I'm a big fan of VW build quality but Ford isn't that far behind - and, to be honest, I like the Ecosport very much. The one we test drove had 4000km (2500miles) on the clock.
Had a phone call from the Ford concessionaire late this afternoon to tell us they have a Titanium for us to test drive tomorrow.
I'm going to examine the spare wheel option with the garage.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-19, 04:58 PM

I didn't like the idea of no spare wheel. Had a look on a well known auction site, and found one from a breakers yard. It is identical to my wheels, so got a bargain at £50 Had a tyre put on it, and now have a proper spare. I bought a jack, and wheel nut brace. So all sorted now.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 13-03-19, 04:31 AM

Garage
Yes, an owner is far better with a spare wheel, as even if an owner cannot change it for some reason (it is heavy) then the AA, RAC or Green flag guy can just change it for you then and there, instead of having to take your puncture to a garage and return, taking hours.

@Bobbyecosport..well done getting a spare, and from a safety point of view make sure that spare is well strapped down in the boot (if it cannot go in the boot well).
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-04-19, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

We ordered our Titanium petrol version (in silver) a few weeks ago for delivery in mid-June.. Time's dragging!
They're also giving us a handbook in English.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-04-19, 09:08 AM

Lets hope you are not disappointed.I say this because it is each persons choice. Our Titanium is in for it's first service next Tuesday. A year of very pleasant motoring, one puncture and a 2 minute hiccup with a sensor that has not been repeated.
After your VW I think you will be pleased with the Titanium and it's tiny engine.
On my fortnightly 100 mile round trip last Monday it was blowing a gale. On the way down it was behind the car and the problem was keeping the speed down to 70mph, this little engine is so willing. On the way back the wind had shifted and was blowing across. Although you could feel the effect on the body, the car stayed virtually glued to the road. Even Artics were having problems with their trailers but the Ford just kept going.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 26-05-19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyford View Post
After your VW I think you will be pleased with the Titanium and it's tiny engine.
Sorry, I missed this post of yours Freddy. I must say that I was astonished to find out that the Ecosport's engine was just a one litre 3 cylinder jobby.. I thought it was full of beans and very punchy. Looking forward to driving it on the mountain roads here.
My Tiguan is 2 litres and 150bhp..
Wonder how Ford squeeze 125bhp from half the capacity..? Must be some technology there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page