Windscreen Auto Wipe - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 15-09-19, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Windscreen Auto Wipe

Heads up everyone, my auto detect rain windscreen wipe has stopped working. Back to main dealer for inspection. Fault confirmed to be the sensor on the windscreen has become detached. Change the sensor, NO change the windscreen! New screen ordered awaiting call from the garage to replace screen etc. Good job its under warranty. Any others suffered this problem?

The vehicle has done 3,800 miles and is 9 months from first registration.
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 15-09-19, 01:01 PM

Garage
Hi Rubus, I do not have auto wipers or lights as I have a basic trim model, but to hear that you have to replace a windscreen seems illogical.

On most makes of cars there is a black mask screen built onto the inside of the windscreen that has a round daylight window for the sensor behind the glass. The sensor is held in place on the inside of the windscreen with a gel pack.

If a windscreen gets damaged by stone chip, they remove the old sensor and fix it to the new windscreen with a new gel pack. Sometimes a new sensor is required if old one is damaged, again using a new gel pack.

Not sure why you need a new windscreen, unless the Ecosport comes with 'windscreen + gel pack + sensor' all as one unit and cannot use existing windscreen retrofitted with a new sensor + gel pack, or maybe that's just what the dealership decided to do. Weird!

As you were in warranty you are not bothering how they do it or how much it costs.
If someone was out of warranty, I would try fixing new sensor with a new gel pack first, rather than change windscreen. Assuming thats possible on the Ecosport.

Last edited by colinJYD; 15-09-19 at 01:08 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page