Questions On EcoSport - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-20, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Questions On EcoSport

Hi, I am looking at getting a 2018 Eco Sport. The two main questions I have is how heavy are the spare wheels (18 inch and not 17) as I do a lot of motorway driving and only having a space saver does not put my mind at ease. I know it will take a lot of the boot up which I have no problem with as I don't have a lot in there anyways. But just wondered if its really heavy and if it will effect the performance? The one I am looking at is the 140 petrol so a bit more power than the 125 one.

Second question is what is the safety like on these? With a lot of the wireless theft going on is it worth getting a wheel lock and a pouch to put my keys in overnight etc? And is it a safe car?

Thank you
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-20, 10:43 AM

Garage
The ecosport being an SUV the wheel is heavy (from a pensioners perspective, me), though the AA or RAC will put it on for you if you are a member. I always carry a spare, as compressor and goo kits are never 100% going to get you out of a puncture situation.

Considering 'the piece of mind' having a spare definitely outweighs the very slight reduction in performance. Stick a passenger or two in and see what that does to the performance LOL, they weigh far more than a spare.

Not had anyone on here saying their car has been stolen, considering the make Ford, i think thieves are after SUV's with more pedegree makes, like Jaguar or Range Rover. Unless they want the car for parts.
As for the wireless models, you should go for my base model the Zetec, it has key turn ignition and just a remote key fob (not wireless). All other higher trim models have push button start, and wireless fob, which you are worried about.

You can put your wireless fobs in one of those aftermarket sealed boxes in your house to prevent piggy back pickup of signal. As for wheel locks, unless they have improved when i had one in the 1980's they only delay a thief for less than a minute, but they still get the car. Same goes for all mechanical type systems. You would be better fitting an aftermarket secondary electrical immobiliser, that prevents startup (many company's install these). Some are just an additional remote fob, and some more expensive makes, use a combination of your dash buttons that only you know to get startup working. Good luck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-20, 11:25 AM

We have a 2018 Titanium auto with Colins pet hate the keyless start. I do not like it. However I bought key pouches for the two keys and I have to admit they have limited sheilding. I put the case with the key inside on the passenger seat and the car would not start. However I turned the pouch around to face to the opposite way and I could start the car. As far as I am aware the Ecosport is fitted with a Thatchem alarm. We keep the keys when not in use in their pouches in a kitchen drawer away from any windows and certainly not hanging on a hook in the hallway in full view through a window.
Perhaps the Ecosport is left alone by thieves as the motoring press continuall give the car a bad write up!!!!!!! Still we can't all be Jeremy Clarkson.
Yes I am a bit peevish having just had the car serviced and now at odds with the dealer!!!!!!! I will say however, I was surprised at the bill considering it was a tad over 3 hours work.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-20, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyford View Post
...Perhaps the Ecosport is left alone by thieves as the motoring press continually give the car a bad write up!!!!!!! Still we can't all be Jeremy Clarkson.
LOL

Quote:
....We keep the keys when not in use in their pouches in a kitchen drawer away from any windows and certainly not hanging on a hook in the hallway in full view through a window.
You would be better to put it in a signal shielded box in your house (100% shielding) so no signal can get out, you can buy these in shops or on-line. shielded pouches are not 100%

Whereas I can get away with putting my keys physically hidden away in my house from thieves at its just a remote fob, you on the otherhand have to watch for 'piggyback signal' theft, where the signal from your wirefree fob, can be transmited out the house, via the thieves piggyback device to the car, which extends the range and they can open the car and drive off, hence the need to shield the signal.

Last edited by colinJYD; 09-06-20 at 02:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-20, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
We have a 2018 Titanium auto with Colins pet hate the keyless start. I do not like it.
Your right Freddy, I hate keyless start as its made stealing cars a lot easier. I just do not see the advantage of a key press start over a physical key inserted into an ignition barrel. You can see which one has better security over the other, and how lazy do drivers have to be to need a button press over turning a key

The main factor that I do not like about keyless, is that I cannot tell if the doors are locked or not on some keyless car makes. I told you about a story earlier, where i was driving a borrowed car that had keyless, and I had to park up, and walk away from the car 'out of range', and put the fob down on the kerb, go back and check the car doors were actually pysically locked, before going back to the fob, pick it up and walk away LOL.

Many cars now have folding door mirrors that fold when doors are locked, but that also gives a signal to theives, if door mirrors are not retracted then the car is unlocked. DOH you can't win
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-20, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help, I have decided to go with the EcoSport. Is there any chance you would be able to help with the below? I am gonna order myself the Disklok to put on my car overnight. However I am not sure of the size of the steering wheel. Would you guys be able to let me know the size in CM's please? As the below is saying an SUV maybe a small or medium and I don't wan't to get the wrong size. It needs to be the full length and not just the internal part

https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/about-us/fitting-guide/

Thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-20, 07:20 PM

Hi I have keyless entry/auto start and it's great. Walking up to the car and not not getting the key out is great 😁

IMHO If someone wants to steal your car the fact of having a key would make zero difference.. the model/spec of the car would make a difference not a key/no key.

I have the auto fold door mirror when the car is locked, and like Colin said, you then know the car is locked.. I've never felt the need to go back and check..

My missus bought 2 secure key pouches online as we both have keyless entry. I have stood right next to both cars with the keys in the pouch and neither unlocked.. maybe there are better quality pouches and we were lucky in our choice.

I'm 57 and have had 1 car stolen, and it had a key... But each to their own as far as spec goes...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-20, 04:28 AM

Garage
Your right ecojimbo that if a thief is determined they will get the car one way or another, that why we have insurance, but whether the insurance pays out enough to get another similar type and age of car, that's another question

Over my many decades of driving I only have had one window smashed in on one car, in the mid 1980's to get to my weekly food shop in the car (it had no rear luggage cover). So moral is never leave shopping exposed, or even a small cuddly toy for the kid, as this is a temptation to these thieves. Hide everything before leaving the car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page