Particulate filter - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 20-05-18, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Particulate filter

Hi
The new MOT come in to force today....re the particulate filter does any one know:-
where it is on the exhaust system ?
Is it possible to clean it or does it need to be changed and what intervals if it does?
How much do they cost ?
Has anyone had an issue with one yet.

14 plate 1.5tdi titanium 23000 miles
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 20-05-18, 05:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Hi
The new MOT come in to force today....re the particulate filter does any one know:-
where it is on the exhaust system ?
Is it possible to clean it or does it need to be changed and what intervals if it does?
How much do they cost ?
Has anyone had an issue with one yet.

14 plate 1.5tdi titanium 23000 miles
I can only give you generic information on the PDF....

It should last a long time if your burn cycle is working ok and the soot is always burned off.
Your car is too young and with few miles to worry about a replacement PDF, which by the way is costly.

Average price £250 for new DPF, or £400 fitted.
There is also deep cleaning services for DPF from £100 (can be a bit iffy)

Burn cycle works in two ways..
Passive..by running reasonably fast and long journeys the soot is burned off. This is why a diesel cars are no longer a town car, as they can clog up. Hence the reason small car makers like Smart, who make town cars, no longer make diesels.
Active..The car decides to burn the soot off in timed cycles by adding more fuel to heat up DPF and burn it off.

Your diesel car being a 14 plate will be EU5 emission regs and does not go through so many burn cycles/week and does not have adblue. New diesel cars with EU6 emission regs use more burn cycles, and can have oil dillution problems as well as eating adblue. Oil dilution means changing oil and filter every year or even less (every 6 to 8 months).

What you do have to consider on diesels now is changing the engine oil more regulary than a petrol engine, as oil dillution, (contaminates in the engine oil due to burn cycles) makes the oil contaminated more quickly. It is worse in EU6 cars due to more burn cycles.

There is no need to worry about the DPF, unless it gets clogged up with soot, or is an older car where the DPF is not as efficient as it is new, and cannot meet emission standards even after tuning the car up.

PS..The EU6 emissions, oil dillution, adblue nonsense, and the possible future blocking of diesels into towns and cities, unfortunately put the nail in the coffin for me with regard buying another diesel, and the reason i bought a petrol engined Ecosport instead.

Last edited by colinJYD; 20-05-18 at 06:01 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-18, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

First sorry for not replying sooner
Thanks for the info ... My Eco sport was a used car and the dealer lost the service history and ford don't appear to have it on their records so I hope that it was serviced properly.
I'm assuming that the burn cycle would kick in on a "long" run say Milton Keynes to south London (m1+m25) and if I do that every couple of months it should be ok.
I also use rule from either BP or Shell sometimes even their "Premium" brands ( does that help)
What about additives like redex do thay help?
Thanks again
Peter w

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-18, 10:00 AM

Garage
My wife has a Smart Fortwo diesel CDi (EU5 emissions with burn cycle, but no adblue) and that needs long runs all the time, so a long fast run once a month is not good enough, you do need a long run at least weekly for the passive burn to work and keep DPF clean.

Also going by her Fortwo, you can hear when active burn cycle is happening, but only when you stop at the lights and I see and hear that the idle speed is a bit higher (the rev counter is higher than normal), due to an active burn cycle just coincidently happening at that time.

You do not hear active cycle burn in operation, when car is on the move, as engine noise and speed hides it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page