Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-09-18, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Last Thursday, decided to take a trip quite a distance from home, about 6 miles from Lands End about 75 miles away. As always prior to a longish trip I checked the tyre pressures and all was well. We got to our destination, a very secluded un spoilt piece of Cornwall little known to most. We had a cup of tea and started the car. Bong!!!!! looked at the info panel. NSR tyre down to 1 bar. As the car park is not conducive to trying to pump up a tyre I drove a short way to a place on the flat. Of course, no spare, no jack nothing except the pump and gunge. Pumped the tyre up and drove home watching the info panel like a hawk. No problem so I thought this was a repetition of years back after checking tyre pressure I had a flat caused by dirt under the valve cap. Next day flat as a pancake. Our car is a Motability car and as such I cannot do anything. So this am Kwik Fit arrived and replaced the tyre, which at first I thought a little unnecessary. A screw had penetrated the tyre at an angle in the tread and as such meant the tyre was suspect. I used to work in a garage when the tubeless tyre was the discovery of the century but even then if in doubt NO repair. Fortunately tyres are part of the Motability deal so apart from waiting no cost to me.One supposes the attitude is replacing a tyre is better than chancing a blow out at a later date.

This is my first experience of the TPMS of which I had only read and heard bad things. All I can say is this gizmo saved me a lot of upset and had done exactly what is was designed to do.
I have been very wary of the electrics on the Ecosport but I have to admit it helped me on Thursday especially as I would not have seen the tyre being low on air and certainly would not have been aware at least till I got to the 'main?' road as the lane to where we went is about a mile long and extremely poorly maintained. I will add I was envious of his air jack.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 15-09-18, 08:11 AM

Garage
As you say most people think air tyre monitoring is a useless thing. I think its good to tell you that you need to pump your tyres up. The bad thing about it, is that most systems use a wireless device on the back of each road wheel monitoring air pressure and they can go wrong, or battery fails, or just pack in due to spinning around all the time on the move. Also false pickups can happen, giving incorrect readings.

As for not carrying a spare tyre, well you are motability which is a special case, but even if someone cannot fit a spare tyre, it is worth carrying one to save on time, as road side services like AA or RAC or Green flag, have to go get tyre repaired or replaced for you. Whereas if you have the spare tyre then they fit it there and then.

Goo and compressor kits are not 100% reliable to get that tyre re-inflated. If you get a nail in the tyre sidewall, it is finished.

A spare wheel, be it a full sized road wheel (which I have), or a spacesaver in the boot, is the answer.

Last edited by colinJYD; 15-09-18 at 08:17 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 16-09-18, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I could not agree more. The previous car a Honda had no spare just a pump and gunge. My first purchase was a spare wheel, although I am thankful in never having to use it. The 'gunge' it seems is pretty useless according to those Honda drivers that used it. It appears it was only useful when it was a very small puncture hole, anything larger it just didn't work. I did not use the gunge on Thursday, as there are those that feel it destroys any chance of a puncture repair. In this case it didn't matter. Having maintained my own vehicles for some 60 plus years I did feel pretty 'isolated' having to wait for Kwik Fit. I dread having a puncture needing more than a pump up ( one of the selling points of tubeless tyres was that if it wasn't a large hole, by pumping the tyre up one could usually get home).
In fairness the pump supplied with the Ecosport is quite efficient. I gave my Honda one away, it was made of metal and extremely well made, I avoided using a foot pump in nearly 4 yrs just connected the pump if the tyres needed it BUT the Honda had an apology for a battery so if the pump was used the engine had to be running. You could not even leave an interior light on for more than about 30 mins, at least our Ecosport with it's start stop means it does have a sensible battery.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-19, 03:43 PM

I have just bought an ecosport, as you say no spare wheel, except the gunk! So I have bought a rim off ebay, and am going to get a tyre fitted and keep it in the boot. I may have to get a new jack, as I have a scissor jack, not sure if it tall enough on this car. What jack have you got in your car freddyford?
Are the nuts also 19mm?
Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-19, 03:49 PM

Above the mirror in car, there a little type of storage area, or should there be a mirror in there like the c max have?
Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-19, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

We do not have a jack,nor a spare wheel just a pump and a tin of gunk and of course the 'key' to undo the wheel nuts. I am fortunate in a way, as last year after not being able to afford a vehicle that suited to replace our Jazz we decided to go the Motability route. I had always avoided Motability as it seemed to take a large chunk of my disabiilty benefit. After careful consideration we now have a Ecosport which basically all I have to do is put petrol in it, keep it clean and not knock it about. Why are we fortunate, well when we had the puncture that even I could see that it could not be repaired, a nice man from KwikFit came to us and fitted a new tyre. Cost to us. one local phone call. The Jazz was very reliable but of course the bills kept rolling in with just the yearly's like Insurance which at my age was being increasingly loaded.

Of course you have to be disabled in the first place.
As far as the Ecosport is concerned, it's great.
As to the little storage area, I think it's designed for glasses etc, at least that's where I keep my sunglasses.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-19, 02:49 PM

Garage
On the subject of having a spare wheel, I would recommend that you buy a set of chocks at the price of around a fiver a pair (Ł5), they can be fold open metal ones which i have, or wooden or even hard plastic ones.

These chocks prevent slippage during a tyre change, if you are on a slope or gritty gravel roadside.
Chock position pushed into base of tyre depends on direction of slope

I have these.....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-07-19, 02:22 AM

Ah Start/stop is a no go,thankfully mine does not have this infuriating and petrol waste facility,see my other post.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page