automatic radiator shutter - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 27-04-19, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

automatic radiator shutter

Hi all,
Can all of you with the 2018 and up ecosports check for me and tell me if you have factory fitted shutters in front of the radiators.
I read on some sales literature that they were supposed to be a universal fit on all 2017 and up ecosports.
I have a 2018 titanium 1.0 petrol but it is not fitted with auto shutters and I have to drive around 10 kms before the temp gets up to its normal operating range.
I was lead to believe that Ford was chasing fuel efficiency!! surely its better to get to operating temp quickly.
Thanks for any response
OT
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 28-04-19, 11:48 AM

I am assuming that the radiator shutter is for non British vehicles. Our doesn't have one (2018 Titanium) but I am surprised that you would need one in Spain unless you live in the mountainous region.
The temperature gauge today reached normal in about 3 miles and that was on a cool day.(10 degs outside) Also is it possible different countries have different thermostats. ie to get temperature up in cool areas and to keep it down in hot ones?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 28-04-19, 03:50 PM

Garage
See this old thread.....Not sure who gets this shutter gimmick.

https://www.ecosportownersclub.co.uk...-shutters.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-04-19, 04:19 AM

Sorry I know I am in the category of silly OLD fool BUT when will they stop these stupid gimmicks. Looking at the video, how much difference does it really make to the aerodynamics.

I have just watched a video from my Brother in Canada about Russian lorries and drivers coping with what in the UK would bring the whole country to a standstill. Freezing rivers and mud to several feet deep and they just plough through it.

Now like Russia, Canada they probably need rad shutters to keep the cold off the rad. Many forum readers would not know of the thermo syphon system which was the norm in cars of yesteryear and even in 1962 when the thermostat was fitted as norm, the bottom of the rad was known to freeze due to the cold. BUT the UK and even Spain in the mountains surely a shutter on the rad is unnecessary.

Classic bit of useless gimmickry. Yesterday, going down a hill I was braking. Up pops in front of me on the little screen. Braking applied engine power reduced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you are a Rally or Racing car driver most normal people remove their foot from the accelerator to apply braking.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 30-04-19, 04:58 AM

I have looked on good old Google and while I have found quite a bit about these active shutters, I can only find two mentions from UK dealers. Plenty from the US , some from AUS but there was an entry about them being fitted to selected UK models. There appears to be nothing on vehicles in the UK lately.
They all claim it improves fuel consumption but this appears to come from the closing off the rad when cold allowing the engine to heat up more quickly and opening when driving slowly in traffic. They claim it helps with aerodynamics at higher speeds My experience with vehicles is at high speed you need to keep the engine temperature down.After all the engine keeps coolest at low revs and light work. Not stationery. colinJYD's video does make some sense but I personally can't but think there is a degree of gimmickry. Back in the dark old days you could buy a radiator blind but as our winters have warmed up that seems to have died a death.

One can only suggest 'ou toppie' goes back to their dealer and ask as it seems the UK is 'out in the cold' with this one..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyford View Post
They all claim it improves fuel consumption but this appears to come from the closing off the rad when cold allowing the engine to heat up more quickly
One can only suggest 'ou toppie' goes back to their dealer and ask as it seems the UK is 'out in the cold' with this one..
Hi freddyford
Your comments above are as I understood it, re heating up quickly. My 50 + years working with HE engines taught me that engine components did not work at there designed parameters until at operating temperatures and I do not consider having to drive +- 10 ks before I get to that normal point on the gauge, acceptable.Therefore I must be loosing out on fuel economy.
I have asked the dealers here and can not get an acceptable answer.
Guess I will have to go to Ford Espania.
Will get back to the forum with what they say
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 05:27 AM

I was always taught don't leave the car running while stationary to warm it up.
Opposite when they start their car then go back indoors for up to 20 mins to avoid getting in a cold car. Serve them right if the car gets stolen as an aside it is up to the owner to go and collect it from where ever it is recovered.
You start the car move off and not using excess revs make progress and if necessary put the heater on recirculation. The thermostat is surely fitted to accommodate the local conditions and NO it certainly should not take 10kms to warm up. Our takes about 2miles normally BUT even in very cold weather about 3miles.
Good luck with Ford.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page