Steering 2018 Ecosport - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Steering 2018 Ecosport

Hi All
Any owners out there not happy with the way there Ecosport behaves whilst driving.
From new, I find that I am constantly having to make minor adjustments to the wheel even on a straight road. By minor I mean quarter inch movements of the wheel all the time as if it is constantly over steering and having to be corrected the other way.
I will be interested to know if anyone else has this phenomenon or if it is a quirk of the electric steering system.
Thanks
OT
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-19, 06:40 PM

Garage
Hi, I have the earlier Ecosport 2016 and steering is light and fine, and does not need any correction on the straight, but cannot talk about the newer facelift Ecosport 2017 onwards as have not driven it yet and it has a different design of steering.

Likely someone will confirm if there is any excessive feedback of the electric motor steering which is programmed to the movement of the steering shaft, ie, having to correct on the straight, which does not seem right.

The only reason for correction on the straight, is if the road has a camber (angle), but this is not constant correcting.

A few years back I had a Ford company car that worked on a hydraulic pump system and it had bad feedback needing constant correction to the steering wheel, I took it back, and they adjusted something to make it have less sensitive feedback, an it was then OK.

What i would do...
see what others say on here about 2018 steering.
and I would go back to Ford and ask to try driving a different ecosport and see if it is doing the same thing, ie, needing small movement corrections on the straight. If not then your car is at fault. It definitely does not sound correct to me, and needs the feedback adjusted to be less sensitive.

https://www.india.ford.com/epas/

Last edited by colinJYD; 07-05-19 at 06:43 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-19, 05:16 AM

No our 2018 Titanium does not behave in this manner. It could point to a tracking problem. Sorry dealer should sort it!
Our Honda before had electric power steering and I could always tell if after hitting a pothole that I needed the tracking corrected. The Jazz was very susceptible to pot holes causing tracking problems. The Ecosport seems to cope well. Tracking has been checked by the dealer last December and a few weeks ago. They supply a sheet with all the steering geometry shown and it both cases all OK

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-05-19, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi freddyford
I am having difficulty getting setting info here in Spain.
Assuming that the sheets you got back from your checks have got the "nominal" specs as well as the actual readings from your checks, is there any chance you could post a copy here or send me a copy via pm so that I have some numbers to work with.
thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 18-05-19, 07:12 AM

I typed it all up and then something went wrong and dumped the lot.
Sorry here goes again. The charts are illustrative and only give figures of what was read.
I will try again
Front Total Toe in minus 0deg02mins left of the central line with plus 0deg22mins right of the line. Rear Total Toe in plus 0deg01mins to the left of the line plus 0deg25mins to the right of the line. Front Camber Left minus 0deg02mins to the left of the line minus 1deg32mins to the right. Right Camber minus1deg32mins to the left of the line minus 0deg02mins to the right of the line. Rear Camber Left minus 0deg55mins to the left of the line and minus 1deg55mins to the right of the line. Right. minus 1 deg 55mins to the left of the line and minus 0 deg55mins to the right of the line.
Hope this is of use all it says Wheel alignment passed.
If you need any more confusion let me know, surely the dealer would have the Ford figures OR a decent Tyre company
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-05-19, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will follow up with those figures also will try the best tyre place I can find

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page