Saris Solo rear bike rack - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-06-19, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Saris Solo rear bike rack

Hello,
I'm new to the EcoSport (2016 model), liking the car so far.

Has anyone here used a Saris Solo rear bike rack with their EcoSport? https://www.saris.com/product/solo

Saris' website says the rack is compatible with the 2018 model but not the 2013-17 models. I can't see any difference except the optional spare wheel, which my car does not have.

Is anyone using this rack on a 2016 EcoSport? Is it ok clipping the mounting straps over the spoiler?

Thanks in anticipation.
Andy
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-06-19, 05:46 PM

Garage
Hi Andys, welcome to the forum. Most of us just fit two bikes on the roof rails with cross bars.

Here's a few previous threads, the spare wheel being in the way has always been a problem, but as you do not have the spare, it should be easy enough to find one......

https://www.ecosportownersclub.co.uk...594-bikes.html

https://www.ecosportownersclub.co.uk...ack-rails.html

You could investigate the webpages of these images of Ecosport rear door racks.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ec...w=1024&bih=637
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-06-19, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Colin. I did see those threads but was hoping someone had used the rack in question. I don't want roof bars as I want to use it for commuting, and lifting the bike up and down twice a day does not appeal.

Anyway it seems that in general there is no reason for the rack to be incompatible so I'll give it a go.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-06-19, 09:52 AM

Garage
Put as picture up if it works, as its a question that has been unanswered on this forum.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 29-06-19, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

It works

Ok, so I got one, and it does fit.
I've attached three pictures - the rack with no bike, with a bike and the view from inside.

It took some experimentation to find the best position. I've ended up mounting it pretty high - the reason for this is so that the bike is fully clear of the number plate (see "mounted" pic). This means that all four feet of the bike rack are resting on the rear window, which makes me a little nervous but it seems to be pretty solid.

The position of the bike means that the rear lights shine through the spokes. I've not managed to get a properly clear interpretation of the law on obstruction of lights, but objectively, the lights are well and clearly visible through the spokes.

In use, the rack is solid and firm once you've tightened up the straps. There are two hooks at the top and two at the bottom. Following advice from elsewhere on the internet I superglued a piece of innertube into each metal hook so that it would not damage the paintwork. To keep the lower straps clear of the number plate I've had to put them at an angle. To prevent them sliding back towards vertical (and hence becoming loose) I've superglued a nut to the inside of the lower lip of the boot on each side so that the hook can't slide past it.

The bike is held on by two clips on the crossbar and a strap around the seat post. I added a couple of bungees to hold the lower part of the bike steady and stop the wheels from rotating (and prevent the front one from turning side to side and hitting the car). The left pedal rests on the car, so I put an old glove on the pedal to protect the bodywork.
With this arrangement the bike is solidly held, and does not move around. I travelled a 40 mile round-trip commute, with the maximum speed being almost 60, and some roads had considerable crosswind. The bike held firm throughout.

Mounting the rack on the car takes seconds. After the initial adjustments to get everything right, I remove the rack by loosening the bottom straps only. When I put it back on, I just need to hang it by the top straps, and then hook on and tighten up the bottom ones. I've only done two trips, and yet I can get the bike + rack installed or removed in under five minutes.

Conclusion: Ideal for me, I use it for commuting so it needs to be quick & easy to use. When I reach the park & ride I can stash the rack quickly and easily in the boot. It holds the bike firmly but I haven't tested it at motorway speeds. The Saris documentation itself says not to go over 60. So maybe not ideal if you want to take your bike long distances. You will need more padding material and securing straps/bungees than what is provided in the box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unmounted.jpg (322.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mounted.jpg (555.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg inside.jpg (352.7 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 30-06-19, 07:23 AM

Garage
Well done, you have done a really good job of it

This will be referenced the next time someone asks about rear door mounted bikes, as the question comes up quite often.

PS....Your other option would to have moved it down so only two feet were on the window and the other two on the metalwork of the rear door, but as you say, would have covered your numberplate, but hey, it is easy enough to mount an extra numberplate on the bikes, so it can be seen.

I am glad you have sorted this out, as it has been an ongoing question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page