Ecoboost engines - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-07-19, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Ecoboost engines

I have the Ecosport with the 140BHP engine,apparently this is no longer fitted to the Ecosport, I was wondering why this is, or what the difference between the 140BHP and the 125BHP engines.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 16-07-19, 07:33 PM

Garage
Vauxhalls worldwide policy is different engines in different countries for the ecosport, to suit what they think owners want there.

For instance there is a 2.0 petrol version in the USA, where fuel is roughly half the price of the UK.
India still gets the 1.5 petrol version, it was discontined here in 2017 with the facelift mode as being an old design engine, I have this 1.5 petrol engine as I have a 2016 Ecosport.
Now we only get the 1.0 petrol 125 or 1.5 diesel EU6 here in the UK on newer models.

The 140 and my 1.5 was likely finished due to lack of sales of those models, due to Ford accountants and Ford cost analysers, and Ford market trenders and all those fancy names at board level, who have the power to get them discontinued.

Most owners now go for the 1.0 petrol 125 as its reasonably efficient for a petrol engine and gives a good MPG and many do not want diesel due to EU6 complex emissions and the danger of being banned from UK cities soon, or pay a congestion fee to enter. (Not just London) Diesel is now a dirty word here.

Last edited by colinJYD; 16-07-19 at 07:36 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-07-19, 06:15 AM

We have the 125bhp with an auto box and all I can say is that perhaps Fords have decided to drop the 140bhp as it was unnecessary , my biggest gripe with the engine is that it is too eager. Pop along at 70mph and if you are not watching the read out in the speedo like a hawk, the car is doing 75 plus.That's on the flat. Hills have to be pretty steep to knock to much off the speed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 17-07-19, 01:18 PM

Garage
I would definitely buy the 1.0 petrol 125 next, assuming the price is right.

My only gripe is the new 2019 Ecosport is very overpriced. (like most cars nowadays) But there are pre-reg cars and ex-demonstrator cars and repossessed HP cars available,, which knocks thousands of pounds of an Ecosport, even if it is technically secondhand, it allows people like me to buy a nearly new car with very low mileage.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-19, 10:37 AM

Read an interesting article about modern cars and how much safer they are due to the automonous braking etc. Which all drive up the purchase price. However the Insurance companies won't reduce the premiums due to all the 'bits' push the cost of repair up. They sight headlamp units, on cars of yesteryear the headlight unit was pretty standard now because each manufacturer has their own they cost hundreds of pounds to replace. My neighbour was commenting on a program he was logged into which registered all accidents. He was amazed at the number of ' fender benders' and minor accidents which cause hours of frustration while the police measure etc. He told me the program just didn't stop putting them up. Motorways being the most prolific and troublesome..

It reminds me of the days when Volvo put seat belts into their cars insisting their cars were safer. The problem was that the average motorist just drove faster and with less deliberation so accident numbers went up.
Perhaps there is a case for driverless cars
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-19, 03:10 PM

Garage
No, driverless cars have already killed occupants. The whole point is that sensors can fail, and then you will be dead.

The only way self driving cars will work is to be on a track by themselves, and away from 'cars with drivers', bikes and pedestrians.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 18-07-19, 09:25 PM

Garage
A good example where a driverless car will fail in Scotland is with the common problem of deer jumping over a stone wall or hedge .....The sensors will not pick up the deer movement till it is too late, but a driver can see well into the field and spot the deer and where it is moving and slow down or speed up, so the car and deer miss each other.

I have had this happen many a time, managed to anticipate the situation far in advance, and not had a deer land on my roof yet

UK car moving from left to right on picture...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-07-19, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

The engine is certainly very eager,in fact you can easily get wheel spin if you floor the throttle. I am certainly glad I have the 140bhp engine,it can go like a rocket! The extra power can be usefull,and if you dont want it then have better economy
As it was fitted to top of the range models,perhaps it did not sell well enough, they still produce the engine and it is fitted to some models/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-07-19, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

I am now very happy with my Ecosport,especially since all the new models have stop/start gizmo fitted. Seeing the fuel consumption being higher,take me back to my early days of driving. I quickly learned that stating an engine puts a consderable strain on the battery, and that it was said that you had to drive 8 miles to replace the charge taken out of the battery.
Why is stop start so bad? Well engine like any machine should always be kept running where possible,no machinery likes to be started/stopped, more wear, more maintenance and higher fuel consumption. Also starter motors are not meant to used more than neccessary. Normally you would not stop engine at traffic lights of other brief stops.The poor old starter motor is now taking a bashing,and with PM field instead of a proper wound field could soon mean a demagnetised magnet. This has happened to me with these motors.
In some cars you can overide thsi stop/start idea,however its often a once off affair,and reverts to the SS mode when engine is stopped.
I think the Ecosport has been spoiled with this and the lower hp engine, and the modified front end styling.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-07-19, 04:08 PM

Garage
My early Fords in the 80's all had start stop fitted....

At the lights, the engines spluttered to a halt with damp ignition, and you had to crank the engine and hope to get going again

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page