Service message come up. - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-19, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Service message come up.

Hi, I have the 65 plate ecosport titanium 1.5 diesel. When got in today, the message came up on the display, Oil change now due, & service. On my speedo, near bottom it show's a yellow oilcan then under it a yellow spanner. So this light means to warn you it due for service. I not done many miles for it to need a service. What want to ask you all is, how can I get rid of that symbol? I not doing a service yet. There must be a way to get the symbol off? Any ideas please.
Thank you.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-19, 04:31 AM

Although you have not done a lot of miles, modern day oils are designed to be changed perhaps more frequently. More especially when it is a diesel. It also depends on the length of journeys that are done. A vehicle that does a 5 mile trip from cold to cold will need it's oil changed

frequently as much as a vehicle that does 20 miles per journey, the latter's engine will get properly hot whereas the short journey will not. Some would say the short journey engine needs more frequent oil changes. Could you consider a local independent garage and just have the oil and filter done ( not always advisable as other matters can be picked up before becoming a problem ) A local independent with a good reputation is just as a good a bet as some main dealers.
As to getting rid of the message in the speedo, some OBD11 readers will reset. They can be bought off Ebay etc for a few pounds.
However, remember a diesel engine needs regular oil changes to remain reliable and in good order.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-19, 08:03 AM

Garage
Although Freddy is right with regarding oil and filter change is required more frequent on a diesel, the Ecosport service light is based on mileage or time interval (roughly about a year), so it can come on irrespective of you doing low mileage.

If you want to go ahead with service reset, here it is....(Its a USA link, Do not worry about the word ESCAPE as its referring to a higher trim Ecosport model called the Escape in the USA, And Gas pedal is Accelerator pedal).

Service reset....
https://seventrumpet.com/ford-ecospo...d-light-reset/

Last edited by colinJYD; 08-09-19 at 08:06 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-19, 05:12 AM

Excellent answer from Colin.

Having checked the link it seems pretty straight forward.
HOWEVER, always one, ours has a keyless start so I have no control over 'key' position. I am jolly glad that I do not have to worry about servicing.
I really am impressed by Colin's ability to come up with good answers to tech questions.
If I may ask Colin where do you find your info, just for reference as I like to keep abreast of the 'beasts' workings although too old to do my own maintenance now.
I ask this, as the only probable answer to my question about the gouge in the bumper, is to replace the section and would like to assess the difficulty and the hidden snags.
Many thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-19, 04:45 PM

Garage
Freddy, it does say in that link...If your Ecosport has push-button start, press and hold the ” Start” for two seconds without touching the brake pedal...so it gives both key start method (on base trim model) and push button start method (on higher trim models).

As for my knowledge of cars as such, has been down to repairing and keeping cars going for the last 40 years,
LOL

They are technically getting more challenging as they tie in with car computers and software nowadays, even down to simple circuits like lighting. I start getting lost with all that software stuff and coding and the like.

For other car info I can usually get that off the internet, just by a 'search engine' search, except for wiring diagrams of modern cars, as the manufacturer's tend keep hold of that info themselves as long as they can, so you have to go to the dealer for repairs. On older cars most forums manage to get hold of wiring diagrams one way or another. Oh, how I miss Haynes technical car manuals, that had all mechanical and electrical info on a car.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-19, 05:54 AM

I am sorry to have not read the item properly. My only excuse is that as I do not have to worry about servicing, I skip read it and this is an example of how dangerous that can be.
I cut my teeth on such as the BMC series A B C and Ford 100/105E etc with the odd Bentley thrown in. I worked for a small country Garage where we had to do everything including make up parts. Oh how things have changed. The Rover was the last car I looked after myself and managed to keep that going until it went in 2014. Now Mr Arthritis governs my life.

Nowadays all that happens is if there is no computer and no parts available for replacement the franchises seem to be stymid.

Piece of useless information: In Canada Toyota have caused a big problem with spares. It seems that Toyota Canada has 'streamlined' their computer system with disastrous results. People cannot get accident damage repaired and spare are taking for ever to find!!!!!!
The good old parts Storeman is considered to be obsolete but a good one was worth his weight in gold.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page