Auto stop start - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-20, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Auto stop start

Auto stop has stoped working and I get an error com up. Any ideas
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C2B5A778-D42C-4B2E-A7AA-0578D7FC6EAD.jpeg (99.7 KB, 5 views)
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-20, 09:35 AM

Garage
There are a lot of conditions required before start stop will work.

Does this error give you any indication in the car manual what is wrong with the start stop tech?
If so go back to the dealer.

I personally switch off start stop tech every journey, as there are more dissadvantages than advantages.
I never use it, and never wanted it.

Advantage...
1....A few drops of petrol saved. Maybe.

Dissadvantages...
1...Wear on engine over a period of time.
2...Reduced life on car battery (even if heavy duty start stop type battery), from at least 7 years down to 2 or 3 years.
Many car forums (all makes) complaining about needing a new battery in just a few years of use.
3....The danger of being at a junction or traffic lights with engine off, which increases your start time to get out of a possible dangerous situation..It could be life and death.
4...Accidental operation of start stop in the middle of a junction cutting off the engine, seen that many a time, where owners have to restart and get out of the junction before being hit.

So as you can see, we car owners have got landed with a dangerous and unwanted tech, which we would be better off without. (my opinion, though the above confirms we are far better off without start stop tech)

You can argue the case if you want to
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-20, 09:58 AM

Garage
My reason for hating start stop tech...

Reading the above, you can see why I hate start stop tech, but it goes back much further due to owning 1970's and 1980's Fords.

In those decades Ford cars had very bad ignition circuits, using choke, distributor and contacts, and thus cold and damp weather caused a lot of cutouts of the engine when you stopped at a junction, so Ford came up with the first start stop engines in the last century just due to crap ignition

Hence nowadays I love to hear an engine running during the whole of my journey.

Although i do not like a lot of new technology in a car, I do give in to the fact that electronic ignition improvements in a car is now down to controlling the fuel and air in, down to the micro-second, and we now get far smoother control of the engine during idle and on the move. That I do approve of.

My previous Ford cars with damp ignition problems (one of the reasons I moved away from Fords, till I returned in 2016 with my first EcoSport)....
https://www.ecosportownersclub.co.uk...ier-fords.html

Last edited by colinJYD; 02-01-20 at 10:01 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

May be an obvious question but what on the illustration are you referring too? If its the A with a line through it, has your car got an auxiliary panel under the climate control panel? Ours has heated seats and steering wheel NO I didn't pay Ł500 for it. It was fitted and we payed a token amount. IF I switch my heated seat on invariably I switch the auto stop off because the switches are too close together. The switch is below the climate control towards the steering column it is not easy to see.Alongside or above is the traction control another one that suffers from fat fingers.

If it's anything else judging by the mileage its a warranty job. Incidentally your Ecosport is an automatic and looking at the fuel consumption is that normal or do you only do a couple of miles at a time. I feel hard done by at 37mpg.
Good luck
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

Garage
Freddy, I am getting between 38 MPG and 41 MPG on my 2019, 1.0 petrol engine/manual box Ecosport.
It might get better once the engine is run in a bit more.

It better than my last 2016, the now discontinued 1.5 petrol engine Ecosport (UK) at an average of 34 MPG.

Note that you can take 2 MPG off the car if using climate control A/C all the time.

The 1.5 petrol engine is still being made in the India market, and the USA gets the 2.0 petrol engine, and I wonder what its fuel consumption is ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Today, 10:58 AM

I only remarked about my fuel figures as Megans indicated considerably less. Bearing in mind ours is an auto and there is a cost when involving a torque converter. Recent years manufacturers have tried to overcome this bogey. Our previous car was a Honda Jazz with an I shift gearbox. Universally hated but to be truthful I did manage to get used to it. Yes the fuel figures obtained were close to a standard gear box but a right pig if it wanted to be,we used to manage circa 43/45 mpg BUT the Ecosport appears to be a lot heavier and bearing in mind the tiddler trying to compete with larger engines I don't feel too unhappy with it's fuel consumption. IF only for the hugely increased comfort and ride.
There is no doubt the engine performs much better after a few miles. I no doubt could improve the consumption by being more judicious with the throttle but my size 11's seem to have a mind of their own ( joke). I suppose it's my dotage years in that I just enjoy the fact I can get a move on when I want to.
I sincerely hope you Colin continue to enjoy your second Ecosport.I have driven a huge variety of cars over the years and I think the Ecosport doesn't fall short. I personally like the car. I really do not understand the motoring press.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page