Auto locking question - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-20, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Auto locking question

Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 ecosport, today whilst shopping I opened the boot, placed the keys on the back board, placed my pram inside and shut the boot to check it would fit with the keys still inside (and my son &#128553, the car automatically locked.
Luckily I was close to home and able to get my spare key to open the car quickly BUT surely this shouldnít happen if I had already unlocked the car, or is there a way to disable this automatic locking?

Very scary thought to have that happen further from home. And despite only being in the car for a couple of minutes it was very distressing for him.

I donít have the dash auto lock on, so it canít be that.

This may be obvious to some but Iíve had a look at the manual and as far as I can see the car should not be doing this .....

Thanks in advance

Georgia
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-20, 04:18 PM

Garage
Hi and welcome

First question, to get closer to an answer, depending on the two different central locking systems on the Ecosport....

Do you have entry level Zetec model like mine with the press button key fob and turn key ignition.Or do you have keyless fob system as on the higher trim models, with press button engine start?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-07-20, 10:05 AM

We have a 2018 Titanium with keyless entry. If I unlock the car and do not open a door the car will lock itself. in a very short time. If I unlock the car and only open the boot door it will still lock itself when I shut the door. If I open any other door it will not lock itself. PS when I unlock the door I always put the key into my pocket before I do anything else. That way I do not get caught out.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 16-07-20, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinJYD View Post
Hi and welcome

First question, to get closer to an answer, depending on the two different central locking systems on the Ecosport....

Do you have entry level Zetec model like mine with the press button key fob and turn key ignition.Or do you have keyless fob system as on the higher trim models, with press button engine start?
Hi, thanks for the reply, I have the keyless entry version and the press button start.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 16-07-20, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyford View Post
We have a 2018 Titanium with keyless entry. If I unlock the car and do not open a door the car will lock itself. in a very short time. If I unlock the car and only open the boot door it will still lock itself when I shut the door. If I open any other door it will not lock itself. PS when I unlock the door I always put the key into my pocket before I do anything else. That way I do not get caught out.
Thank you, I will bear this in mind. It might seem a little extreme but Iíve actually worn the key on a lanyard the last few days to make sure I donít get caught!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 17-07-20, 09:17 AM

Garage
Well now we know you have keyless, likely Freddy's answer seems the most logical, as it is possible for the car to relock the doors after unlocking, if doors are not opened. Why the back door is designed to catch you out, i do not know.

MORAL: Don't leave your 'keyless fob' in car, if you are out of car

(PS....that re-locking by itself happens on both systems 'keyless' type and 'press button key fob' type, as its for anti-theft if you have unlocked the doors and not got in the car, they relock after a set time period)

Note also with keyless fob, if you and your partner both have keyless fobs in the car it a same time, it can cause confusion, for example if you both walk away from the car and the wife has left handbag with keyless fob in car, the car will not lock the doors. A very confusing system

I prefer my Zetec's (base trim model) with simple remote fob where you press buttons on the fob. Its not that hard to press a button

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page