Non Starter - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-07-20, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Non Starter

A few weeks ago I went to work and parked up. Went to start in morning and starter turning but no start. Called AA out and he reckons cambelt gone as top end not turning and no compression. So I got towed home. Couple of mechanics said same so I decided to open up top of engine 1ltr ecoboost 125. Cambelt still intact and tight. Engine does turn manually with spanner on crankshaft but does seem to slip a bit on belt.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-07-20, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200722_165451_1595512231673.jpg (396.8 KB, 6 views)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 24-07-20, 10:19 AM

Surely the belt cannot slip as the crankshaft pulley is toothed.

How old is the car, remember they have a 3yr warranty and even if it is a little beyond that I feel that you should contact Ford about them paying for the problem. Everything I have read is that the cam belt is a long life matter as the actual job to renew is pretty major.
Don't take no keep complaining and although I do not subscribe to social media, I have heard of successful outcomes when a company has been shown not to be playing the game..
One thing IF the belt is slipping it might be the tensioner and remember turning the engine over might cause piston valve involvement.
Good luck

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25-07-20, 08:19 AM

Garage
While open I would replace the nylon cambelt if worn (usually around 60k miles or above). I always prefer cars with a metal chain, that lasts a lot longer.

As for engine not working, you always check the three things...

Fuel system..is fuel getting up there, check fuel filter, pump, etc, Air...check air filter and ducting, Spark..check ignition system.

Also advisable first check for any electronic issues.... check with an OBII reader and connect to diagnostic socket, and check for fault codes.

PS....If you do not have a OBII reader you can get a cheap one on Ebay around a tenner. This is the one I have, that gives the codes, can reset engine managment light, and you check the codes on the internet to see what the fault is in english...(dearer ones do that for you, ie, not needing to access the internet to get code description)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-CAN-...oAAOSwNHVfBK3H

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page