Ford tackles keyless entry theft on Fiesta/Focus - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-04-19, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ford tackles keyless entry theft on Fiesta/Focus

If you have keyless entry then you may be worries about relay box theft from your car outside your house. This is done with a relay box to slave the signal from your keyfob in house to the car, so the doors open and car will start up.

Ford are now tackling keyless car theft with new ‘sleeping’ key fob on Fiesta and Focus which gets new keyless entry key fobs with a sleep mode in order to protect them against thieves...(But not the Ecosport yet)

The only way to protect Ecosport with keyless entry at present in your house is a faraday cage container (put keys in Metal box with sealed push-on metal lid, ie, a shortbread tin or similar type sealed box) to prevent the signals getting in or out.

I still say keyless entry has more dissadvantages being prone to easy theft than any advantages it has.

On the new Ecosport range...
Ecotec base model..central locking with remote fob (no keyless entry)
Titaniium and ST-line models, both have keyless entry, so watch out.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/ford-ta...ource=20190412
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-04-19, 03:43 PM

I have a Titanium 65 plate. Keyless entry. So I at risk of theft. Mine won't start unless key fob in the the vehicle, so does that mean the thief can still still start it? If I carry my key fob in a small metal tin with metal lid, like old tobacco tin, I be okay?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-04-19, 09:00 AM

The object of the lesson is to ensure the scroats who will try an steal your car are stopped by cloning the 'key'. If you store the key in a tin at home and only take it out to enter and start the car you should be OK. I am not a scientist but it is something to do with the' Faraday cage' effect which blocks any intrusion.
If you have ever watched the idiot three in Top Gear, Richard Hammond was put into a VW and then they pulsed a lightning bolt down on the car. I seem to remember it was in Germany where they have the testing equipment. Hammond was suitably concerned. The lightning bolt hit the top of the car and then grounded. They explained that it was not the fallacy of the tyres protecting you but the car was in fact a Faraday Cage. ie a metal case. Hammond was completely unhurt.

With your keys in a metal tin it is the same effect. I have just bought a wallet to put the key in. The key has to be put in a section which has a 'metal. lining. It is made of leather and was about 7 for two off Ebay but if your tin works what does it matter what it looks like.
I had no idea that a brick wall was no way of stopping them cloning the key signal. We keep the keys in a drawer in the kitchen NOT on a hook behind the front door.Trouble is when the boffins stop the scroats they merely invent another way to steal what is not theirs.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 19-04-19, 04:59 PM

Hoping to get a tin sorted Sat, bloke at work got some baccy tins, so he will let me have one. I will try it in the car, leave the key in the tin, and see if it will start. Just to try it out, and see what happens. Do you have the item number for Ebay, will have a look at wallet also.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 08:52 AM

This am I had to check the tyres and the fronts needing air was a good opportunity to check the 'key' case. With the key in the case standing immediately by the car I was unable to unlock the car. I could hear the button clicking but it remained locked.
I then had to switch the ignition on, the case with the keys inside was lying on the passenger seat with the flap closure pointing towards the dash board and I got ignition. Bit disappointing. After I had finished with the electric pump, I switched the ignition off with the key out of the case and then replacing the key into the case and ensuring the flap was well stuck I tried again to switch the ignition on with the pouch on the passenger seat. Nothing except a warning about no signal. It seems unless the flap is pointed directly at the dash with the key inside it shields the signal. I then locked the car normally, replaced the key into the pouch and noway would it unlock the car.
It could be that I did not ensure the flap was well secured and there was slight leakage hence the signal getting through.So basically it was about a 85% success. It does shield the signal from outside the vehicle so it would appear indoors there is no way the signal can be intercepted from outside providing the key is in the secured pouch.
Bobbyecosport: The firm is Ready Tech Go Ltd on Ebay there was a number (3089) also it seems the item number is 153436121650 described as 2x Car Card Signal Blocking Pouch. @7.99 BUT there are plenty on the relevant site ranging from 3.99. I didn't go for the cheapest but it could be they all come from China so horses for courses. The baccy tin would be 100% but the pouch we have is leather and quite nicely finished. It has TWO pockets, one for the key and one for whatever. Trust this is helpful.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-04-19, 03:30 PM

Hi, thank you Freddyford, will have a look.
Regards
Paul.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-04-19, 03:45 PM

Hi, well bought a small metal tin, with metal lid. Put my key in it, had it near the car with me, and it still unlocked with the keyless entry on the doors. So a metal tin does not work. I have since bought a pouch off ebay, it is called a Defender, item number
223245023668 Defender signal blocker, 4.79
I has a lined pouch, and put my key fob in it, then went to try unlock car at the door, had the pouch in my hand, and car would not open. So this pouch actually works. So now if I go out, will put my key fob in this pouch. Worth having a look on ebay.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-19, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well so much for these TV shows on car theft telling me a metal tin worked in the home to stop signals ...DOH

OK, Bobby, your advice is much better, using a pouch if you have a keyless system

My advice is buy the basic trim Ecosport without a keyless system. This is what I have.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-19, 03:43 PM

Hi, yes I not to impressed with keyless to be honest. Always used to a key. The tin did not work at all, I stood next to my car, key fob in tin, tried door after few mins to see if it needed time to work. Well the door unlocked! So read another post on here about these pouches. Bought one, they also recommended by Auto Trader. Put fob in it, stood nr car, and doors would not open, so it works okay. If I get another eco will get one with key.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-19, 07:10 AM

Glad the pouch worked at least better than the tin! To be honest I have got used to the keyless entry and it's associated starting.
I have on one occasion had the stop start let me down BUT I know I can disable this but I do not like upsetting the electrisicals being an old duffer.
Nothing what so ever to do with cars but today suddenly my browser has deleted a program and refuses to allow me to reinstall it or another. Then its panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page