UK Motorways '11 more to fill tank' ripoff - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 31-05-19, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UK Motorways '11 more to fill tank' ripoff

Seems the UK motorway petrol filling stations are at it again and charging a lot more for fuel than supermarket petrol stations, up to around 11 more per tank.

The Transport secretary is ordering operators to disclose prices on websites and apps, so drivers can look up and see the cheapest filling stations on route.

This is not new with motorway fuel ripoffs with high prices. I remember over a decade ago being caught out with an empty fuel sign on the dash, and only buying one gallon at a motorway high price, and then getting off the motorway to find a 'realistic priced' petrol station.

Their excuse for high motorway costs, has always been distribution costs, but hey, the motorways are the distribution routes, but they know you are a captive audience if you want to stay on the motorway. So I always got off the motorway to find fuel or buy fuel before going on the motorway, and to this day do not buy fuel in any motorway service stations, as they have always been a ripoff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ermarkets.html

Last edited by colinJYD; 31-05-19 at 05:25 PM.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-19, 07:08 AM

Interesting that the Daily Mail says just under 1.35 per litre at Motorway service stations is a rip off. Yesterday, because I could not fill up at my usual garage ( Road works) I had to get petrol locally. 1.34 a litre. This garage is 7 miles from home and my usual one is 5. It is fine for the Daily Mail to quote these prices as rip off as no doubt they buy their petrol in London. We do not buy petrol at our local Tescos after a debacle there. We went onto the forecourt and when a pump became available we moved onto it. While my Wife was paying a member of the public came in and started haranguing her. The cashier joined in. It seems and I have never come across this before, here you wait in line and the one at the front goes to the free pump. This explains why the service road to the store is often blocked. Went to the customer service desk to be told yes, we have complained about it as others have but that is how the petrol station manager wants it,. I buy my petrol elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the subject of rip off the price of petrol seems to go up daily here. Where I usually buy it, the price was 1.32 last week. Further down the road in mid Cornwall on Monday 27/5 it was 1.38 per litre BUT that is off the A30 alongside a McDonalds. Captive audience!!!!!!!!!!!.
Whilst I appreciate the poor oil companies have to pay more as the market fluctuates BUT they bought this fuel months ago and recently it was said on the radio that crude was circa $60 per barrel. When it was over $100 I don't think we paid these prices. Yes the oil barons say they have to charge these prices in case the price goes up. I wish I could say to HM Government can I have an increase in my pension as prices might go up next month. Yes they say, wait till the end of the year and if the cost of living goes up your pension will be increased NEXT April. The old cry is why when the price of oil goes down do they keep the price up for months
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-19, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Think I hit a nerve there Freddy, on the ripoff price of fuel in the UK with respect to the price fluctuations of the barrel of oil. so its not just Motorway prices that are high.

As for petrol stations, I never like busy ones, as queuing up can be quite hazardous, with last minute lane changers trying to get to an empty pump before someone else

Road rage, Petrol station rage, high petrol price rage, what next

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-19, 06:48 AM

Don't know if this is general but local garage which was 132 a litre now 131 To be pedantic 130.9 not much but a step in the right direction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page