Push button killer cars - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-19, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Push button killer cars

Seems push button start and stop can kill, and there has been a number of people accidentely gassing themselves to death by parking in their garage and thinking the engine is off, but it is not. (must be quiet engines or the driver is partially or fully deaf).

Many have been elderly and by not having a 'turn off ignition movement with a key' that they were previously used to, they forget the engine is running and with automated garage door closure when the car gets into the garage, it is a death sentence if they stay in the car for a while.

Many cars have an audible warning if the door is opened and the engine is running, but others do not, and the USA want a manditory warning put on all push button cars, but the legislation did not go through.

I am not sure if the new facelift Ecosport (base model with key turn start, all other models have push button start) have an audible warning or not.

Latest story on deaths by push button start....
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8981416.html

Last edited by colinJYD; 05-08-19 at 05:37 AM.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-19, 06:55 AM

Clearly Ford did listen. We have key;less ignition and I am sorry to say when the old fool forgets to switch the engine off it will yell at me. It also yells if I try and get out of the car with the hand brake on and not selected park. If I try and get out of the car with engine running ( intentional when I forget to lower the parcel shelf) it yells and the horn sounds much to my embarrassment. I hasten to add my wife is a driver and she is in the car as to leave a car with the engine running is an offence unless there is a driver still in the vehicle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-19, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I always prefer 'the turn key ignition', so if I am ever going for the newer Ecosport it will have to be the base model, that retains the turn key ignition, and the least amount of electronic gadgets

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-19, 12:38 PM

I must admit to not realising the engine has stopped on occasion. It is an exceptionally quiet unit. I've got into the habit of looking at the rev counter to make sure that the engine has stopped and at the fuel gauge to make sure I've switched the ignition off. I fall into that age demographic you mention Colin - but I'm not deaf, I'm fully compos mentis - and I can remember where I've left my specs!

In the greater scheme of things, is keyless ignition a real step forward? Or just summat else to go wrong? I still have to carry my keys - and so I'd just as soon put them in an ignition switch as have them in my pants pocket. To what question is keyless ignition the answer?

Too many gizmos.. like the light that is always on that tells me that the passenger airbag is active..

Time for a cold one!☺
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-19, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am a bit anti-gadgets myself, Geoff.

I detest start stop tech being imposed on us by legislation.
Also the car maufacturers removing the spare tyre and giving us goo and compressor kits.
Auto lights and auto wipers are more troublesome than they are worth.
I could go on.

Hence I prefer base models of cars that do not have so many gismos.
Now I go into a car showroom with a list stating this is what I do NOT want in a car
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-19, 04:38 AM

Last Monday, coming out of Truro, of course we had the inevitable RTA. The stop start was really put to the test. After about 15 mins of constant switching on/off I switched the start stop off as I could forsee the battery getting a bit tardy. At least it can be isolated.
As to the auto lights, I have to be honest and say that the Ford system is streaks ahead of the Honda one. With the Honda it did not recognise a good old West Country mist, nor light drizzle. The Ford is pretty good about both of these, even on a bright day, it will operate which the Honda system would not.
Of course each to his own but repeating myself, I was not a Ford fan BUT I think that good old Henry has produced at least a halfways decent vehicle. Of course, today off on a trip mixing with the visitors, I might have a different opinion.
The accident incidence has rocketed over the past weeks.
Completely off subject, watching the news about India and Kashmir I was surprised at the number of Ecosports turning up at the road checks. Obviously the Indian populace take no notice of the biased motoring press and their undying love for BMW and VAG.
I see that VAG in their ads for electric vehicles they MIGHT manage 340 miles. Clearly the Germans have managed to invent new batteries. I cannot believe that such ads escape the notice of the advertising watch dog. Especially after the con by German manufacturers regarding mileage obtained from each gallon of fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-19, 05:09 AM

A few decades ago, the Ford Motor Co launched a campaign to improve NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) across its model range.

From my experience with the Ecosport, I would say tick VG for the first two - but Ford has a long way to go towards improving the ride quality, especially over bumpy surfaces. It's almost as if bumps are transmitted directly to the body shell with minimal shock absorption or damping.

I might try reducing the tyre pressures all around.

Just realised this is a bit off-topic. Colin,can you let me know if you want me to delete this and start a new thread? Thanks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-19, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Your OK going off topic Geoff, we are quite informal on this website, and just happy if someone takes an interest and responds

PS ...I also think Fords have improved a lot from the 'rusty bodywork' and 'damp ignition' days of
the 70's and 80's

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page