UK Government want to tax cars more - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-19, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
UK Government want to tax cars more

With owners moving more towards electric cars, the Government think tank want to road tax you more.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-burning-cars/

What gets me is that owners who have already bought small engined cars or zero emission cars have are already been penalised in 2017 as a minimum of 145 tax has been introduced.

My wifes last smart car a diesel Cdi (2010 plate) was zero tax, and the highest tax on a smart car then was 30 for the petrol version. Now her latest 2019 petrol Smart car is 145 a year (at present). Also electric cars, and hybrid cars now have gone from zero tax to 145. So the Government are now getting a good bit of road tax off these cars.

But now they want to go further and consider introducing tax per mile for all cars, even if you have a small engined car or zero emmisions. Its nothing to do with the roads , its just to get more revenue in.

The car owners has always been an easy target for paying more and more tax, and you wonder as car expenses get larger, why there are so many illegal cars on the road with no mot, no tax and no insurance. I think that is easy to understand.

My neighbours son who bought his first car last year got hit by a no taxed no insurance BMW car yesterday, at a crossroads, as the BMW just plowed through and there was an accident. The police were involved as the BMW drivers car smelled of cannibis, and he will be charged. But my neighbours son will take the brunt of the insurance claim as the non insured driver had no insurance. This means the boy will lose his NCB and will pay more for insurance. Also he tells me he will not get enough money back to buy a similar car that he had, as its a writeoff. Luckly he only got a bruised hand.

As car prices and costs to keep going on the road, keep going up, there will be more illegal car drivers. Crazy!

Last edited by colinJYD; 05-10-19 at 06:41 AM.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-19, 07:51 AM

What is hard to understand is WHY there as so many vehicles without documentation. I understand police vehicles are fitted with the where withal to check a vehicles legality simply and yet the numbers of unlawful vehicles keep rising.
Given the ruckuss yesterday about Insurance companies ripping the motorist and householders off, would it hurt the motor insurers to NOT penalise the young man Colin speaks of. If hit by a motorist who has no insurance then surely the Insurers can cover his no claims loss AND cough up for an equivalent vehicle. It has long been a wonder to me how Insurers can only pay out the Trade value when they demand the motorist pays for the Retail value.
Another gripe is this fad of personalised number plates with illegal spacings. Everywhere you go these days there are cameras looking down on the motorist. Surely instead of continually hammering the law abiding motorist the DVLA with software could pick these people and their stupid number plates up, unscramble the plate then prosecute. We have number plates for a reason, thankfully we haven't quite got to the stupidity of the USA. Personlised number plate fine, BUT make sure it complies with the law. Despite the fines and points on licences being increased for mobile phone offences the numbers of transgressions are going up. And so it goes on.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-19, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I agree Freddy.

One of my other big worries other than the extra price of pay by mile, is the big brother aspect.
The only way they could tax per mile is if they know how much mileage you do and that means GPS monitoring.

This allow the authorities to know exactly where and when you car has been. and I do not like this,

They say "if you are innocent if you have nothing to hide", but I dissagree, as we would go down the slippery slope to Orwells 1984, or even worse a Communist state like China where the people are controlled and monitored to comply with state rules or else.

Future technology monitoring you is most worrying.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-19, 10:13 AM

Extracting money from the motorist is I think successive administrations sole aim in government. No matter what the motorist does there is taxation on top!!! One problem is waste!!!!!!!!!Governments moan about the cost of roads and their upkeep BUT nobody appears to check up on whats done both in new roads and maintenance. Case in point a couple of miles of the A30 has recently been dualled. It meant **** in the summer and instead of the projected two years it was over four before it was completed. The road is over Bodmin Moor, only one home really affected and a couple of others needed fencing for privacy, weather in the main was good and yet somehow the road builders managed to stretch the contract. Cornwall Council allegedly was going to demand money from the contractor but that has gone very quiet. Just outside Holsworthy on the A 388 a pothole appeared, eventually a dollop of tarmac was dropped in the hole and a size 10 boot stamped it down. Over ten years later the pothole now extends for some distance about 10 metres and yet nobody has repaired the hole(s) properly. A stretch of the A388 through our village was resurfaced ( not surface dressed ) about 10 yrs ago, now it needs doing again.

Outside our home there has been a hole beside the drain for about 20 yrs yes 20 yrs. I have reported it several times over and eventually they decided to have a look. I received a message 'no hole' found. Why because over the years it has filled up with mud etc.The mud etc is quite obvious. The Neighbourhood Highway Inspector couldn't knock on the door and ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My concern is purely that years back, looking into a small hole alongside a drain I found a large cave underneath where there constant washing over the years had eroded the subsoil. Just think over the country how this crass stupidity is repeated at a huge cost to the motorist, Yes, the motorist. I do not know the figures but only a small proportion of monies raised directly from motorists is spent on roads and infrastructure.
And yet, they still want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page