New Ford Puma getting some good reviews - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-01-20, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Dan
Administrator

New Ford Puma getting some good reviews

Keeping my eye on the Ford Puma, reviews are out today. Mix of 4/5 and 5/5 stars. Telegraph saying its good enough to win car of the year.

Round-up here: https://www.pumaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=95

Anyone tempted?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-01-20, 04:01 PM

Garage
As said, it does tick the boxes, being a high up seated SUV, but with style.
Does that mean the Ecosport does not have style LOL

In my case I have just bought a new-ish (ex-demonstrator) 2019 Ecosport, so it will be some time before i consider anything else.

Prices for the Puma in the UK start at 20,635 which is costly, as unfortunately UK car prices have fairly increased in the last few years, this is why I bought an ex-demonstrator Ecosport, as to me saving money is my priority, as the minute you buy a car it depreciates heavily in the first year, so by buying it as cheap as you can to begin with, and with a lower trim model with very little extras, the less you lose later on. (well thats my theory LOL)

This is why a lot of drivers like my brother now go for leasing, and can get a high up expensive model for three years and just hand it back, and get another lease. The car is never yours though.

The Puma does look good, and may have a look at it a few years down the line, as an alternative option to the Ecosport, but similar in a way, as it uses the same engine, and has the same high seating advantages as an SUV.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 18-01-20, 08:47 AM

Will it be available in the UK? Is it a replacement for the Ecosport. Looking at it, the impression is that it is somewhat lower than the Ecosport. My contract ends in 2021 so perhaps if the DVLA lets me keep my licence I could consider it. However I am very pleased with the Ecosport.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 18-01-20, 06:21 PM

Garage
Freddy, it can be ordered now in the UK, as for the seating the photos does look a lower position than the Ecosport from outside looking in, though a visit to the showroom would be required to prove comparison.

Looking at other reviews, the electronics will be even more complex on the Puma, with a digital dash replacing standard mechanical gauges,(on higher trim models).

Seeing my brothers new Volkswagen Tiguan SUV with this digital dash technology is just crazy with the sat nav jumping from the center screen to the dash and appearing between the dials if you want it to, or all sorts of information at a flick of a switch, it is all far too distracting. It even has gesture control, by waving hands at the dash to change modes, LOL...I wonder if the Puma goes that far.

They tel us not to use mobile phones due to distraction, yet, they put all this rubbish in cars now, where your eyes are all over the place LOL. (disclaimer...that's my opinion)

Here is a Parkers review....
https://www.parkers.co.uk/ford/puma/suv/review/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 19-01-20, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the review. Still think the rear sill is quite high and might be a problem for old f**ts like me. I wonder about the 48v engine? If they are referring to the present 1ltr where on earth will they put 16v a cylinder.
Hopefully they might be in the showrooms when ours goes for it's service. late April/early May. I will be able to while away the time giving it a good look. Like Colin the all in one digital dash might be of concern to a private buyer. I am mindful of a local person whose dash developed a small fault and it was a 1000 for replacement.
In 2021 when the our Ecosport is due for replacement, IF Ford give the discount they did on the present one, Motability might allow me one.One very good incentive at least it won't be a learning curve with the controls as they appear to be the same as the present Ecosport. The boot appears to be a brilliant piece of thought and engineering. At least we won't have the dreaded side opening door.

Perhaps the motoring press will be a little more supportive of this one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

Garage
This revue is good but quite long, but you can fast forward to interesting parts if you want to.....Space is not as good in the back seating area, nor is the boot space, compared to the Ecosport.

Last edited by colinJYD; Yesterday at 08:13 PM.