Drive shaft - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 20-07-20, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Drive shaft

Been for a service today told the drive shaft boot is split. Apparently can just replace the rubber boot but need whole shaft at cost of £700 anyone else had this problem
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-07-20, 10:58 AM

I find this a touch of rip off. Most vehicles CV/Drive shaft covers can be replaced fairly easily. A CV boot retails around £12. The inner end boot probably about the same. Whilst it would involve undoing the centre hub nut, which is probably very tight, the bottom ball joint nut and very carefully easing the suspension arm./front hub out of the way, enabling the shaft to be pulled out wheel end. The end nearest the gear box sometimes has a pin securing it but most don't. The shaft can then be carefully pulled out. The CV joints I have done have seperated quite easily and if its the other end, I can say for the Ecosport but that too doesn't usually present any problems. It is messy as the grease is particularly sticky. Be careful to make sure the side you are working on is not lower than the other in case the oil comes out.

If you are not mechanically minded it can be daunting BUT 2/3 hours should be ample.
Were they talking about a shaft or the boots?
Either way that seems a **** of a lot of money
Good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 25-07-20, 05:24 PM

Garage
Get an independant garage to do it cheaper, Maybe kwik fit do it as well.

Make sure they put new clips on each end of the new boots, and do not reuse the old ones, as they can snap over time. Had clips snap on me on a Vauxhall after 6 years, but luckly was an easy fix with new clips as caught it on time at MOT, no shaft removal required, as CV joint was not contaminated with dirt in the grease.

Last edited by colinJYD; 25-07-20 at 05:27 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page