Mudflaps or not? - Ford Ecosport Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 24-02-19, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mudflaps or not?

When you buy your Ecosport, mudflaps are an optional extra from Ford.

Some owners think they are a good addition for dirt and stone chip protection, and I suppose they are. Others like myself are not really into them. You either like them or not depending if you feel they look good on a specific car and/or are necessary for protection.

If you do want to fit them aftermarket DIY, then there are a number of different vendors out there specifically to fit your Ecosport, for example from Ebay, and alternatively there is genuine Ford Mudflaps available from the parts department.

Having fitted mudflaps in the past on other cars they are straight forward to fit, with a pilot drill hole and self tappers. Or they maybe existing screws to use for fitment. It is usually an easy job to do.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 25-02-19, 05:05 AM

When our Titanium was delivered it was a Colin says sans mudflaps. Living in the land of Cornish underseal ( Very corrosive cow's muck) I soon found that it was getting up on to the passenger door. Not so much on the drivers side.
I went on line and the Ford part was out of stock ( evidently there is a difference between the models) I resorted to good old Ebay and bought a set for under £20.
They were ready drilled and the fixings already in place for the trim actually fitted with the mudflaps in place, albeit a bit tight. The rears however were different in as much as the trim fixings were too short. I used stainless steel bolts, washers and nyloc nuts. It was a bit fiddly with the car on the ground to access one bolt. No drilling was required.

I do not say that mudflaps keep all of the muck off but it is contained to the front 25cms behind the mudflap on the sill. In my opinion the mudflaps should be a bit longer BUT then it becomes an argument about resistance etc.
I don't know if Ecosport owners have noticed the little bit of plastic behind the rear wheel on the wheel arch, it's almost as though Ford made a whoopsie in the design and this was a cheap way out. Certainly cheaper than new body moulds.
Never the less, of all the cars I have driven, this one is ticking most of the boxes BUT then I am getting older and perhaps my expectations are getting smaller.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 25-02-19, 04:13 PM

Hi, yes mine got them bits of plastic trim on back wheel arch. To be honest, they neither use or ornament lol.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 25-02-19, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If your scraping cow manure off the car, i can see why you needed mudflaps LOL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page