Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Looking for some advice. Going to buy the ecosport titanium at the weekend but can't decide on the engine. Already test drove the ecoboost and was happy with it but can get a better deal on the diesel. Any diesel owners out there who regret choosing this over the ecoboost?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi am really happy with my diesel seems from what others say on this site to have better fuel economy and has enough power when driving around think some of your choice will be down to wether you prefer diesel or petrol engine as your power plant

·
Registered
84 Posts
From experience the 1.0L ecoboost engine in any vehicle only seems to offer really good mileage on long trips certainly don't believe the book figures. As for a Diesel when ever we've gone into a dealer they always say unless your covering in excess of 12000 mls a year and not mostly short trips a diesel is of no benefit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hi i got the diesel, this is my first diesel and so far i am really pleaed with it as said the millage is better than petrol i am averaging 47.7 mpg mostly town driving. which is good now that diesel is a comparable price to petrol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. Thanks people. The wife only does 2500 miles a year any way so mileage isn't in issue. Just wondered what people's thoughts were between the 2 engines. I can get a better deal on the diesel so think i am going to go for that

·
Registered
84 Posts
With that low a mileage you may have issues with the dpf filter I think that's what its called new someone how brought a diesel just because they got more to the gallon and had it back three times in the first year because the filter became blocked. Only to be told the problem was caused by the low mileage being covered, and that the vehicle should be driven at least once a month on a motorway for a good few miles at around 50 - 60 to keep the filter clear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is what Green Flag Say about it.

Why it goes wrong
diesel-particulate-filter- stop/start traffic, or on short journeys, a regeneration may not get time to complete. This will cause the DPF to block partially and an orange light will come on in the instrument cluster. Ignore the light and continue driving slowly or in traffic and eventually the engine will lose power and stop. This will prompt a trip to the garage and things will get expensive. And I mean really expensive: if the car needs a new DPF, we’re talking more than £1000.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had the diesel model since September 2014 and have been happy with it. I get around 47 mpg., which improves over a long journey.

To keep the DPF 'fit' one needs to follow the instruction in the handbook - do a regular longish journey keeping the revs between 1500-3000 rpm. Too many regular short journeys should be avoided. I have only covered just on 10000miles since new and have had no DPF problems using this method (fx crosses fingers fx).

I have found the diesel has more 'grunt' than the petrol equivalent and copes with hills better. The only downside is that it takes a lot longer to reach normal running temperature that petrol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Found with our Scenic diesel that it took an age to get up to temperature and twice as long in the winter. Thought newer engines had got over that.
A diesel should give you more torque and defenatly better for towing. But yes defenatly follow the hand book regarding the DPF Filter, I'm just very sceptical about diesels now after what I've seen with short trips and low mileage journeys, but your defenatly get more mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone. Plumped for the diesel as was too good an opportunity to pass up. Picking it yo next weekend. Will just have to make sure it gets a good run out every now and again ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did indeed go for the diesel and is being delivered on Monday. The wife is now getting a little excited. Wanted the grey one but opted for the black as for the same price it came with the winter pack. Just need to decide where to go for a bank holiday drive now??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you leasing it or buying it and planning to keep it for a while? Congratulations on the new car, it's what I'm looking at too.

Just how much of a good deal did you get if you don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think it depends on the mileage you do,we only do around 2500/3000 a year so more beneficial for us to go for the 1.0 ecoboost petrol.
Our previous car before the Ecosport was a B-Max we had that for 3 years and just nudged over 7000 miles :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had an interesting conversation last weekend we a ford salesman my daughter was looking to trade in her 1.0 L ecoboost Fiesta for another Fiesta on telling him she didn't feel that the ecoboost offered a good mpg considering you pay extra for that engine, and I have to agree with her it's ok but not great. His reply was no it's not as good as it's made out to be and other customers have said the same, and recommended going for the 1.25 engine.

She has actually bought an Audi A1 which has a three cylinder 1L engine but when i have read some of the reviews most recommend the 1.4 engine for fuel economy. It seems the only advantage really is the lower emissions these engines produce.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well the 1.0 vs the 1.5 petrol is defo better economy. The 1.0 gives a lot more mpg.

As I have said many times, the ES has really been neglected by Ford, in every aspect.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Think I said this before we get around 36 mpg out of or 1 L Ecosport which is mainly driving around town or short trips we got roughly the same from our 1.25 Fiesta my son has a 1.6 fiesta doing similar journeys and gets 40 to the gallon. The only difference I would say is the performance from the ecoboost engine is much better than the 1.25 Fiesta engine.

All that said I would still buy another ES with the 1 L engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When the wife had the Ecosport 1.0L Ecoboost she would get about 32mpg doing really short 2-5 mile trips around town. Now I use it I drive 15 miles each way to work and 10 miles of the journey is on the motorway and I get 44 mpg.

The car has done nearly 11,000 miles and even when the wife had it the mpg was getting better the more miles the car had done, when we first had it she was getting 26mpg !!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh... And I would have another one, it's accelerates much smoother and quicker than the 2012 1.6 mini I had before.

The 1.6 mini had 98bhp the Ecosport I think has about 125

·
Registered
84 Posts
On the motorway we do get well into the 40 s to be fare the fiesta would get 40, the performance is what makes the difference more power much better acceleration.
Just had the first service done at 7500 mls all good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts