Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've just purchased a 2019 Titanium EcoSport, and while getting everything set up how I like it sat with the ignition on and engine not running, I noticed that I didnt have a oil pressure warning light illuminated (seems this goes off with the rest of them a few seconds after turning the ignition on) I've never seen this behavour in other cars - just wondered if its normal, as i'm sure there is no oil pressure until the engine has started lol!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

What should happen as on most modern cars, is that with ignition on, the car lights all bulbs on the dash for a few seconds as a bulb test, so you can see you do not have a blown bulb, so the oil pressure lamp should light like all the others. This also tells MOT people that the engine management bulb, and TPMS bulb (tyre pressures), has not been removed, or a blown bulb replacing them, he he.

So if your oil pressure bulb lit during the initial test, then its ok and working. It should then go out like most of the bulbs after the test. It should only light up as a warning if you ever have low oil pressure while driving, and must stop, so you do not overcook the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

What should happen as on most modern cars, is that with ignition on, the car lights all bulbs on the dash for a few seconds as a bulb test, so you can see you do not have a blown bulb, so the oil pressure lamp should light like all the others. This also tells MOT people that the engine management bulb, and TPMS bulb (tyre pressures), has not been removed, or a blown bulb replacing them, he he.

So if your oil pressure bulb lit during the initial test, then its ok and working. It should then go out like most of the bulbs after the test. It should only light up as a warning if you ever have low oil pressure while driving, and must stop, so you do not overcook the engine.
Thanks Colin :)
I thought it might be something like that (all cars that i've had up until now kept the oil light on until the engine has actually started and pressure has built up) but my last car (2013 Focus) was a few years old, and technology moves on i guess lol - It's odd that they didn't do the same with the battery/ignition warning lamp though isn't it?

Many thanks for your reply anyway, at least I know its nothing to worry about now :p

Cheers,
James.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts