Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an honest review from having owned the car for two weeks now, it has both positives and negatives and I would honestly say that my previous car plays a big part in my opinions and perspectives of the EcoSport. I used to own a 13 Reg Ford Fiesta Titanium X 1.0 EcoBoost.
Performance
The performance of the car is rather good, it has the same engine as my previous car but with an additional 24 bhp to compensate the size and weight of the vehicle. You would be forgiven for mistaking it's 1.0 litre 3 cylinder engine as 1.6 litre engine. The vehicle has enough power to overtake on the dual carriage way and doesn't seem to suffer much lag when accelerating. The engine does start to hum when you go above 50mph but this is not much of a concern and is acceptable.
Handling and Ride Comfort
The vehicle handles pretty well, it is similar to the Fiesta it was based on and also similar to my previous car, apart from the obvious being that it is susceptible to more roll around bends and sharp turns. The car does however grip well to the road, the only real thing you'll notice if you go around a bend slightly too fast is the factor that you'll be thrown around a bit in the seats. The seats themselves in the Titanium X EcoSport are good, but they're not as good as the sports seats included in the Fiesta Titanium X; they're pretty comfortable but not as refined and as comfortable due to their shape as the Fiesta's was. This isn't really a concern though because the higher driving position is wonderful, it really does provide you with a good view of the road and you can definitely tell you're in an SUV if you're at traffic lights and you find yourself next to a Fiesta, or a Corsa, or a similar common car on the road.
Passangers in the back will be very happy too; there is adequate headroom and legroom, and with the reclining feature on the back seats it is quite easy to find a comfortable position.

Economy
The economy of the car is very good. The tax is rather low, although it costs an additional £20 to the nil road tax I was paying on the Fiesta, this is really a non-issue though. Insurance is cheap, being in the same band as the Fiesta, and for that you get the benefits of an SUV. The engines unfortunately do not come with Start-Stop technology which made the Fiesta absolutely silent and more economical if you were stuck in traffic for a long time, but this is only a small issue and the fact that the EcoBoost engine is available for the EcoSport is a very good option to choose. MPG isn't as good as the Fiesta, but I would expect this from a larger car, it is still in a good range however with an average of about 54MPG with my driving style, in comparison to the average 62MPG I had on the Fiesta.
Quality & Refinement
This is unfortunately one of those areas where the EcoSport falls short compared to the Fiesta it is based on. My Fiesta's dashboard included the Sony audio system, which looked very classy in the piano black finish and the glow of the Sony and buttons in the dark, the dash itself was also a soft touch padded material in the Fiesta. The EcoSport has a cabin design similar to the Fiesta, but you can tell not as much attention to detail and refinement has been given. The entire dash is made of plastic, it doesn't look very cheap but it is slightly reflective, and if you do feel it then it does feel cheap and unsatisfying. If anything is on the dash as well it will make a very horrible scratchy sound as it moves. I'm happy however that the features used for driving, such as the handbrake and the gearshift, carries over the leather and chrome look used with the Fiesta; you don't find any cheap uncomfortable plastics there!

On the exterior you can also tell that this car isn't build to such a high standard as the Fiesta. There is no chrome finish around the window sills, even with the Titanium X, meaning the car does look rather cheap when parked next to almost any other Ford model (Zetec or above) which makes the EcoSport resemble the Fiesta Style in this respect. There is also no option for powerfold mirrors, something I really do miss as my driveway only allows 3cm's of additional room for the car and I find myself having to pull them in due to the risk of catching the mirrors. It's also slightly irritating having to pull them in when parked on a road or even in a carpark to avoid any incidents that commonly occur with wing mirrors in these locations.
The final thing that was missing has to be the lack of any privacy glass, even as an option! Without the tinted windows the inside of the vehicle feels very open and there is zero privacy or protection from glare for children in the rear of the vehicle, or my dog who seems to keep his head down a lot more in this new car, whereas with the Fiesta he absolutely loved to look through the tinted windows at what was happening behind.
Here is a picture of my car as it is now, I have attempted to address some of the issues by installing chrome to the door sills and have had tinted windows installed in the car. The person who did the tinted glass did an absolutely amazing job, but the chrome being used for the sills still somehow lacks the feel of premium that you get with other Ford cars of this trim level.

Safety
The car does feel safe, but from the NCAP ratings you can't help but feel slightly cautious with this car. The EcoSport has a 4 star rating, compared to the Fiesta which is highly praised and holds the maximum 5 stars. The onus is however that with it being an SUV you are higher up and as a result of the larger vehicle look other drivers do appear to be more cautious around it, probably as they know that if there is a collision with the vehicle it will likely do a lot more damage to their car than a small car like the Fiesta would do.
The Boot
The boot is a good, decent size. There is no load lip either, which completely removes the problem I had with my Fiesta where my dog had to do his own agility show just to hop over the lip and then into the actual boot. The rear seats can also fold down completely and fold up behind the driver and passenger seat at the front to create a huge space, as a volunteer for a charity it can easily fit 20 large boxes of merchandise. The door itself is also a mix of good and bad: on the plus side it opens to the size meaning that the boot does not get caught on some garages (and doesn't scare my dog, as he seemed to become extremely distressed by having a boot come down when compared to a regular door style) but on the other hand it is extremely heavy compared to other boots, this is due to the full size spare wheel. It also poses problems when you're parked in certain car parks and a car parks behind you, or if you parallel park and a car is close behind.
As you can see in the picture below, the boot fits a fair amount but the sheer size and way the door opens can cause some inconvenience.

Equipment Choice
The equipment choice is fairly limited, despite being a Titanium X trim you don't get everything you get with all the other Fords at this trim. Wonderful features that are included however are the rain sensing wipers, the leather seats, the Sync system, rear parking sensors, auto dimming rear view mirror and keyless entry. Some of the essentials, such as privacy glass, powerfold mirrors, front parking sensors, etc are all missing and there is no way to have them installed by Ford.
Verdict
Overall the vehicle is a joy to own and to drive, albeit not as fun as the refined Fiesta Titanium X. The driving position is great, the car looks good, the performance is economical and the vehicle is not really that expensive to run, tax, or insure. The diamond white paintwork also offered also has the effect of looking quite dull and off colour if you are parked next to a true white car like the Fiesta or an ibis white Audi, partly due to the fact that the Diamond White is more of a creme colour with yellow undertones.
If I did not require a larger vehicle then I would have happily kept the Fiesta. I have always had Ford's since 2002 because my local supplier is very reliable and friendly, the only other option was the Kuga and this latest model is far too large for my driveway, therefore making it not an option. I usually keep a vehicle for 12-18 months before changing it up, so it all depends on what Ford does with the next generation as to whether I would purchase the EcoSport Gen 2 or not.
If you're in the market for a compact SUV with all the benefits of a small vehicle then this is a good option, especially with the competing line up (Juke, Mokka, etc) all seeming to have some teething issues of their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mitch said:
Many thanks for an in depth overview of your ecosport, just out of interest did you test drive any other engine variants?
I test drove the 1.5 diesel variant, it was satisfactory but felt a bit sluggish at times, but I didn't really get much of a drive in it because the traffic was awful when I went for one!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was 50/50 when I made my purchase decision whether to have the ecoboost or diesel, but chose the diesel,as I felt it handled slightly better with the heavier lump up front,I agree with all your comments and the one thing I think that this car should have with the titanium badge is the quick clear windscreen, but I must say I'm very pleased with it overall and easy matches it's rivals mokka,juke etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great review! It's good to hear what EcoSports are being compared to as they have received such poor press. We've had our Titanium EcoBoost for almost 6 months now and love it! I agree with all the points in your review having found our car economical, comfortable and offering plenty of room for our needs. Performance is better than the Captur with good acceleration especially when you put your foot down! It's enough to be fun to drive! I wish we were getting 50mpg but as most use is around town, high economy is not overly expected...

In our case we're comparing our EcoSport to a new shape Ka, my old 2010 Mondeo and current new shape Kuga. Interior plastics are better than the Ka, but lack the funky styling of the Ka. Equipment levels are similar to the Mondeo, with a few bonuses like keyless entry.

As Europeans appear to have quite high expectations of their cars, you would have expected Ford to have mirrored the equipment levels of the Fiesta when designing the European EcoSport. Features such as heated screen, privacy glass and folding mirrors, along with better quality trims, should have been included from initial release. Ditching the 1.5 engine for Europe would also have been a good move...

To really rival the Juke and Captur, Ford just need to realign their trim levels. Adding more options such as big wheels, low profile tyres and satnav would make the EcoSport a winner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update as haven't been around a while!
Thanks for all your kind comments and hope that it has been useful.
Having had the car for about three months now we are currently experience quite a few issues that have made the ownership experience deteriorate.
The specification of our EcoSport was a Titanium X, and having come from a previous Ford Titanium X we thought that we had a good understanding of how wonderful this trim level was.
Overtime we have felt that when the vehicle is in operation the handbrake position is made for a right hand drive market. Any of you who already have seen the car or own one will know that there is a armrest on the drivers side. This is sadly useless as we have found that if it is placed down so it can actually be used it blocks access to the handbrake, which causes some difficulty. This position has also been a pain when there has been a passenger in the car during this winter; as some of you may know how brutally cold it can be here up north we need to wear coats such as parkas, etc. to keep warm. I've noticed on driving the car that the passengers coat can sometime overlap to where the handbrake is, making it awkward in some situations where it looks as if you're trying to grab their coat!
The b pillars on the front of the car are also a major concern, one of the vehicles drivers is 5 ft 6 and finds it really concerning, even with the seat pumped up highest, that the sheer thickness of the surrounds of the windscreen cause a huge blindspot when at junctions and roundabouts. If you were to check this on a EcoSport yourself you would notice that the shape of the bonnet is to blame as it raises quite high at the sides.
The other things seem to just go with what you are used to, I guess. Standard Titanium X features are missing from the EcoSport, such as powerfolding wing mirrors, a more premium sound system option, ambient lighting in the cabin, capless refuelling and misfuelling protection, hill start assist for hill starts, and even the quick clear windscreen.
I'm not saying that this is a bad car at all, I would just like to state that if you are coming from another Ford that is of the Titanium X specification and go for the EcoSport Titanium X you may find yourself extremely disappointed. A complaint was made to Ford and they stated that they can see the reasons for our concerns and will pass on information to the design team as a matter of urgency, possibly meaning that a new EcoSport may be in the works that addresses the lack on standards of the UK's first generation EcoSport.
Ford are willing to listen to our complaints over this are sincere towards the experience we have had, and are looking into seeing if a switch for full spec Titanium X Fiesta at less cost or a Titanium Focus may be possible.
All of that aside, the compact SUV market is still quite young and things can only get better over time. The EcoSport isn't a bad entry by Ford for this, as the Nissan Juke, Renault Captur, and Vauxhall Mokka all have their own fair share of issues. My main advice however, if you're not in a rush for a new car, is to wait a while until Ford release the second generation EcoSport, which I am certain will address the concerns and areas where our first generation EcoSports fall short.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've just posted something today about the improvements on the way from May. Sorry to hear about your disappointment, it may well be that a Fiesta Titanium will give you greater pleasure.
I certainly think Ford have slipped up on this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts