Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day - looking for advice - looking to carry at least 3 bikes on the car - have the version with no rear door spare wheel - wondering if the attachable bike carriers are suitable due to the way the door opens and weight -

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wife and I carry 2 mountain bikes on the roof rack, and they each weigh 24lbs (10.9kg), so that's a total of 21.8 kg, roof load limit is 40kg, the Ford 2 cross bar system is designed for that weight, so no problems there.

Its all a question of roof loading and that rather ackward sideways opening rear door.

Solutions boil down to....
1....Three bikes on roof rack (if it meets loading)

2....Or two bikes on roof rack and one on rear door carrier
3.....Or one bike on roof rack and two on rear door carrier
(anymore bikes on the rear door carrier is questionable if more than two bikes, due to Ecosport side opening door creates a weak loading and could affect side hinges, so it will not carry the same weight as a vertical hinged tailgate). Above is based on two adult bikes and one kids bike, so its down to weight.

Here is a thread about roof loading.....(note roof load limit is 40kg, as thread title is misleading)
http://www.ecosportownersclub.co.uk/forum/23-technical/3529-roof-box-maximum-load-20kg.html

Hope that helps. its a pure mess with that side opening back door. Thats why I used the roof rack :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a rear door carrier and it works well, though 2 bikes max unless kids bikes. I make sure the lower supports are resting on the bumper as well, to take some of the weight off the top of the door.

I have roof bars as well and it may be possible to attach the top straps of the rack to the rear bar,rather than the top of the door. However I have had no issues attaching to top of the door.

You obviously can't open the rear door with the rack on, but it is easy to access the boot space through the side door.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts