Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In September 2021 I ordered a new Ecosport as a replacement for my 2019 model. Because of a shortage of showroom stock took Fords advice and built my car online using the latest brochure available at the time. I took delivery of my new vehicle at the end of January. However, a number of specifications had been removed between ordering and taking delivery. I have taken issue with Ford but no doubt they will have a get out clause. Would not consider using the build your car facility in the future. My 2019 model had a far better spec.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum :D

Unfortunately, car manufactures do have small print stating they can change specifications, by adding or removing items, and the longer your wait for the car the more chance there has been changes.

The one area you do have control of, is if there is a big cost difference between ordering and car arriving, you can reject the car, by saying I did not want this and cannot afford this.

I have had former experience of this problem by waiting a whole year for a new car. I was desperate for a new Honda Civic Coupe in 1993, it was made in Ohio USA and exported in RHD to UK. There was a long waiting list and my 5 month wait ended up being one year. Never again will I do that.

When the car arrived I had problems over changes and hence costs....
1.....They had added a built in engine immobiliser at £300 extra due to spec change. I argued the case that I did not ask for the immobiliser ,but they told me pay up or cancel the sale. So I stumped up, but I wrote to Honda UK head office saying i had waited a year for this car and did not expect this situation, and they paid me the £300 back .
2....Honda dealership tried to charge me the annual price increase, even though i had agreed a price a year before. I totally refused to pay this as I had waited a year, and they had to accept this, cheeky blighters.

Covid 19 problems....
Another problem is that Covid 19 is causing supply parts shortages or delays, and some cars have had items removed from spec or changes made to complete production. My Sister who ordered a Renault Captur recently, had switches missing when it arrived at the dealership, and the dealership asked my Sister if she would take it and the switches added later, and she said NO, as once you get a car off the dealership and money transacted, they forget about you. So she waited another month till the switches were added to the car, and she then got it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In September 2021 I ordered a new Ecosport as a replacement for my 2019 model. Because of a shortage of showroom stock took Fords advice and built my car online using the latest brochure available at the time. I took delivery of my new vehicle at the end of January. However, a number of specifications had been removed between ordering and taking delivery. I have taken issue with Ford but no doubt they will have a get out clause. Would not consider using the build your car facility in the future. My 2019 model had a far better spec.

HI

What differences were they between the requested car what you had delivered?
We have ordered a Puma with the dealer, not the online built app... but it has me a little worried

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI

What differences were they between the requested car what you had delivered?
We have ordered a Puma with the dealer, not the online built app... but it has me a little worried

thanks
There were a number of omissions featured in the brochure and what I thought would be on the car. A few examples are; Rear seat 12v socket - blanked off.
Adjustable height boot floor - standard boot floor with a flimsy piece of carpet.
Sports Aliminium pedals - standard rubber pedals.
Rear floor mats - not now supplied.
I did write to the MD at Ford to complain and just received short shrift by advising me that they had the right to change the spec at any time. Perhaps the author of the brochure could write fairy stories as the brochure cannot be relied upon. Wouldn't fall in trap of building a car online again.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There were a number of omissions featured in the brochure and what I thought would be on the car.....
You had the opposite of my situation with my Honda Civic coupe where items were added and they asked me to pay more. You ended up with less or cheaper items in your car at the same price.

I would assume looking at your changes, you are out of pocket by a few hundred pounds. Did you ask for that cost back when writing to MD at Ford, or take it up with the dealership?

I know from my experience if more spec had been added, they would have asked for more cash. So why not give you a refund for less of a car than you expected.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes its all to do with the global chip shortage , cars are built up as they go along, so components now are being omitted in the build stage just to get car production moving. I've heard of other makes being sent out without sets of switches and many features, in the end i think 2019 was peak for gismos and toys, except maybe Korean built which are nearer supply lines as it looks like many years before production levels, affordability and ready chip availability are back in line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There were a number of omissions featured in the brochure and what I thought would be on the car. A few examples are; Rear seat 12v socket - blanked off.
Adjustable height boot floor - standard boot floor with a flimsy piece of carpet.
Sports Aliminium pedals - standard rubber pedals.
Rear floor mats - not now supplied.
I did write to the MD at Ford to complain and just received short shrift by advising me that they had the right to change the spec at any time. Perhaps the author of the brochure could write fairy stories as the brochure cannot be relied upon. Wouldn't fall in trap of building a car online again.
Hi, yes at least with a nearly new or used you see what you're actually buying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wish I'd joined this group earlier, traded in the wife's titanium for an St line that has less goodies on it than the Titanium, the worst one being no powered mirrors so she looks at it now and thinks she has not locked it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can understand lack of electrical components but door sills and mats, that's just penny pinching car prices going up and less for your money that's like a double tax.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts