Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tried to fit a dashcam to my wife's 18 plate Titanium with the dashcam plugged into the socket by the rear passenger seat that is rarely used. The socket remains powered even with locked, which means the dashcam is on 24x7, not good for the battery.
I saw there were a few suggestions of using the USB socket but they are 5V and the Blackvue wants a proper 12V supply. The only option appears to use the inner fusebox below the glovebox.
Pulling the wrong fuse these days seems to cause fault codes, does anybody know of a safe ignition switched fuse that I can use with a fuse extender?
The car has a start/stop button and no ignition switch which could be part of the problem of not switching the power sockets off.
A tricky one, any ideas gratefully received. John.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Power Socket

Hi
I too have a 2018 Titanium with my dash cam plugged into the rear power socket. I had the same problem as you with the dash cam not powering down once the car is turned off and locked. But after about 15minutes the power socket turns itself off. It then only repowers up once the ignition is turned on again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've just had my dash cam hard wired by a local car electrician. Only cost £30 and took about 10 minutes. Well worth doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
I too have a 2018 Titanium with my dash cam plugged into the rear power socket. I had the same problem as you with the dash cam not powering down once the car is turned off and locked. But after about 15minutes the power socket turns itself off. It then only repowers up once the ignition is turned on again.
Yep, you are dead right. Mine seems to be a lot longer than 15 minutes, nearer 30, but the good news is you can either wire it into the back of the socket in the engine compartment fuse box.

Cheers ... John

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off iam in the USA. My 2020 Ecosport SE the cigrette lighter port powers down after 1 hour 20 minutes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Most modern car now power down items after engine is off, like radio and sockets. The radio can be played but again switches off after a timed period, but you can switch it back on again for another timed period. This is all to save the car battery.

Mind you 1 hour and 20 minutes seems a long time till it powers down the socket. But at least it does switch off.

This leads to crazy things in cars now that are controlled by the cars computer, that never used to be.
My wifes smart car has a crazy fault in Winter only, that is not worth fixing. In the winter the computer switches off the cars clocks time function which is in the dash display by load shedding, if car has been parked up for a few days in cold weather to save the car battery. So when you start up the car the clock is now at a different time. In warm weather it works fine. I put black tape over it in Winter.

The dealership said the load shedding function is far too sensitive in our smart, and would have to replace the cars computer, by ripping out half the dash. I refused, as we would likely end up with a dash full of squeaks and vibrations, all for a stupid clock. (Luckily the car also has a clock in the radio, so we rely on that, as at least it is accurate all year LOL).

Stupid crazy faults in cars nowadays >:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts