Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having left home and about 2 miles up the road in a 40mph zone, there was a thump like a pot hole ( nothing felt through the steering) when all the lights on the binnacle started flashing. I had warnings of coolant temperature too high, no steering assist
I still had assistance, plus many more. Power seemed to disappear. I managed to limp to a lay by. Stopped the engine and looking under the bonnet all appeared in order. The coolant level was OK ( I know this can be an issue) the engine was still quite cool. checked all connections including the battery and fuses on top of the battery. I waited about 5 mins and tried to start the car. It did and all was well. no lights on the binnacle that shouldn't have been there and the speedo and rev counter appeared to be back in working order. Drove carefully for a few miles and as all seemed OK carried on. Return journey all well. No sign of impact to the front, nor any parts in the road on the return journey.

I am sure I have read that a member had similar problems but I cannot find the post.
Help would be appreciated from the fellow sufferer if he got an answer as to WHY because I think he took his Ecosport to a dealer for a check. I will try my:eek: OBD11 reader to see if anything is recorded.
My concern is why this happened and the possibility of it happening again at say 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the mystery deepens
. No sign of coolant loss but is on the Min level when cold.
I used my OBD2 meter and it came up with PO116P Which the book says is Engine Coolant Temp CKT Range /Performance. Means nothing to me except suggests a failure how ever temporary of say a sender as at no time was there any suggestion of overheating. Since this problem have covered about 60 miles with no repetition. I have contacted the dealer for advice.
All very well these computer driven vehicles but they are a worry when there is a glitch.
Watch this space

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi Freddy

Here is the Ford code for p0116...
http://www.autocodes.com/p0116_ford.html

Definately your cooling system at fault somewhere, but not sure what would cause a thump, unless the water pump got a surge or something like that. Might be an airlock in the cooling system causing it. No idea why it was knocking out other electrics. Weird. Likely went into 'limp mode' till reset with an engine start up.

Lets hope you get it sorted soon by dealership.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am grateful for the link colinJYD. It does open up the actual code book info. I did think of the thermostat as that was a classic cause of such a problem but it is obviously not. It certainly doesn't need a service and as there are no leaks and the coolant level is OK one can only surmise it is a faulty sender.
Given the problems Ford have had with the earlier Ecoboost engines, I would have thought a quick reply from the dealer would have been appropriate. Still nothing surprises me about dealers.
Once again thank you for the link.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just added my bit to another one of complaint about non service.
I tried to get some anti freeze, the Factor sold me one that is American and suitable for all. I started to top the header tank up and they did not like one another so I tried to extract the new one. I have subsequently found that modern cars have specific anti freeze and they do not mix in fact can form a jelly which rodgers up the cooling system. I had Emailed the dealer from whom the car came from NOTHING. On Monday I made substantial detour to another branch. Service dept Lady well versed in stone walling. I explained I had a problem and could I speak to someone please. book it in. I have a fault code all I want is advice. Oh dear sin. Book it in and we will check it. I live along way away. Brickwall. So I said its a Motability car. Call the RAC.
The parts person sitting alongside could not have been more helpful, I now have the correct anti freeze and the problem has not repeated itself.
Considering cooling problems have cost Ford a lot of money, I cannot understand the attitude I met. All I wanted to know was it likely the sender needed changing. Suddenly dropping into limp mode at 70mph in the outside lane of a dual carriageway with a line of lorries on one's inside is not something I want to experience more especially when there is no more problem than a faulty sender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Possibly related to this

Subject/Concern: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated; Intermittent lack of power, engine misfire or the engine does not start; Damaged engine wiring harness
Model:
EcoSport 2012.75 (05/2012–) - EURO 6.2 vehicles only
Build Date: 07.05.2018 – 18.10.2018
Build Code: JJ – JR
Assembly Plant: Craiova
Engine: 1.0L EcoBoost (90kW/120PS)
Transmission/Transaxle: - 6-Speed Automatic Transmission - 6F15
Summary
Should a customer express concern that the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is illuminated and various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) (e.g. P0339, P0201, P0301) are stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in conjunction with intermittent lack of power, engine misfire or the engine does not start, the probable cause is chafing condition of the engine wiring harness with the exhaust shield resulting in single damaged wiring (1-2 off).

Check the engine wiring harness in the area of the exhaust shield / 6-Speed Automatic Transmission.

• If damaged single wiring are found, repair in reference to TSB 16-1010 and protect the wiring with high temperature aluminum tape. It is NOT required to renew the engine wiring harness.

• If no damaged wiring harness is found, follow the standard diagnostics procedure.

This bulletin details the repair procedure to repair and re-route the engine wiring harness.

For markets where FordEtis IDS is used, connect FordEtis IDS and select the appropriate symptoms from the concern descriptions above. Follow the FordEtis IDS instructions to rectify this concern and send any related diagnostic feedback session files. Failure to follow these instructions will affect any associated warranty claim submission

For markets where FordEtis IDS is not available, rectify this concern by following the attached service repair instruction.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am grateful for the explanation from ALD 76. However I am hoping this problem shown above did not affect our Ecosport.It was registered on 30th April 2018.The only fault shown was PO116 which is the engine coolant sensor. To be honest I could not tell if the MIL light came up as the whole lot lit up like a Christmas tree. A couple of years ago, our Honda had a flat battery. Honda fitted a battery barely big enough beyond coping with an instant start. I had been working on a door which was open for less than an hour and that was enough for the battery to be flat. What happened when I switched on was the whole lot lit up. The AA man told me with modern cars any problem with electrics and everything lights up. A bit different to the old days when all that happened was an engine that would not turn over. I digress, there has been no repeat of the PO116 situation I am pleased to say BUT the constant worry about a repeat is there.
I shall have a good look at the wiring around the exhaust shield. At this moment it is a typical west country day which eliminates any working under the bonnet.
Once again I am grateful for this information which might help other Ecosport Auto owners.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after TWO ignored Emails to the dealer, I sent a rhubarb to Motability. Surprise, surprise the dealer now wants to check the car so an appointment is to be made. 60 plus mile round trip. I have been informed that I am to ring the RAC for them to check if the car is driveable in future should I need advice. I always understood that you only contacted the RAC IF you were broken down. NOT for them to tell you if the car is OK to use. What it boils down to is the dealer has made the excuse they were too busy to look at the car, I DID NOT want them to look at the car there and then I merely wanted someone to say, either wait for it to happen again or book it in for a check. I cannot see what is wrong with that. I appreciate they might be busy BUT there were enough suits walking about, what do they do?.
Sorry bad form but when I worked in garage and a customer had a problem you did your very best to help. Even if it was a sorry cant do it now but don't worry, book it in and we will do it. NO the customer is NOT allowed past the person sitting in a chair booking work in. In my case obviously had a course in stone walling.
Customer service my backside.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tuesday the 18th loomed with torrential rain and gales. I had an appointment at the dealers some 30 plus miles away. Not a pleasant journey but the car behaved very well, surefooted in the surface water and not really affected by the wind, even on the Tamar Bridge. They looked at the car for several hours and could find nothing, except the OBD2 reading that I had not cancelled so they could see I was not telling porkies.
About 2 miles from home, ping went the info screen. N/S/R tyre down on pressure. I thought surely not another puncture. It would appear for some reason the TPMS has objected to them checking the tyre pressures as this am it is still up. Now I have to clear the message.
I suppose I should be happy that the car seems to be OK.
What did surprise me is how much the prices have increased since May last year.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well lets hope that your worries are behind you now, Freddy.

Agree that there has been quite an increase on the new facelift models in the dealerships. Its went up by around two grand since 2016, when i bought mine, (comparing model trim to model trim).

So much for a cheap small SUV.

I would have to consider these discount websites for my next new car, like carwow, and end up at the cheapest deal, even if the best price dealership is over a hundred miles away, it would still be worth it.

Only thing you have to watch is a lot of these discount price car websites look good, but thats only if you take their finance offer, where you end up paying back a lot on interest over the long term. There is less discount if you go for your own cash or your own finance to pay for the car.

Other cheaper options are low mileage demonstrator car or a pre-registered car to get costs down. Being a second owner drops the price, even if the car is relatively new.
As the new facelift model has been out a while, I expect there should be deals out there now, rather than pay full price. I definitely would not pay the full price now for one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took delivery of my Ecosport Auto Titanium this week.
Used Cowow to check prices and availability etc. Well worth 400 Mile round trip to get over £2,700 dealer discount. I live in the North East of England no one came near matching that.

The Ford Finance being 0%.

Just organised service contract at my local dealer, no problem paying monthly direct debit into the "pot" for the eventual day. Incidently the service interval is 2 years / 18,000 miles. Which was a surprise!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well you got a good deal there Rubus.

Furthest I have traveled for a car from Ebay, was to Bournemouth by air from Glasgow Airport.
A lot cheaper than the train.

I put in a low bid and did not expect to get it, but still won it, as the winner did not have the cash, and I got a 'second chance offer' from the seller. Weird! did not know that facility was on Ebay, till I won :D

it was a lovely long drive back to Scotland.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whilst I was hanging around while the car was being checked, I looked at prices and although each and every model in the showroom was loaded with extras, the Ecosport was NOT discounted. Some had say £2000 worth of extras and then discounted back to the straight list price.Even the new Focus. Although there were two Mustangs in the showroom I purposely ignored them. No good wishing. The other thing I noticed is that after having the Ecosport for some 7 months I had not realised how low the seating in a saloon car was in comparison to the Ecosport.
I did over hear a male talking about his Zuga and although he was reasonably pleased with it, he had been plagued with rear brake problems. Most had been dealt with under warranty BUT as soon as the warranty expired the brakes still not being right were his responsibility. His beef was the calipers were replaced FOC BUT he had to pay for new discs and pads. Personally I think I would have challenged that. After all if it had been a problem since NEW it was up to the dealer to get it right. However, was all that he said the truth?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts