Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 Ecosport and it hasn,t got a DAB radio in it, can one be fitted to the current system, and how much would it cost ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have the same small issue of no DAB. I am thinking of going after market stereo replacement just not sure if anyone has done this before on an EcoSport.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Playing devils advocate is there any real advantage on going DAB?

There has not been a big uptake of car owners or house owners with DAB, many lower trim car models still have FM/AM radios, and thus many of us still use FM and even AM on their radio, so there has been an extension with radio broadcast stations to still give us FM and AM for the foreseeable future in the UK, till DAB reception is taken up more than FM.

There is also a problem in a car with DAB called 'ghosting', where a car moves from one DAB region to the next, and you can hear a comment being repeated in a chat show, or some music segment being repeated for around 5 seconds. Something to do with sycronisation and the specific car DAB radio installed.

Some car owners also complain about recessed or hidden DAB antennas in modern cars giving worse reception or loss of reception, compared with the old whip Arial or telescopic Arial that used to be in cars. Modern technology sucks!

Info on countdown to DAB in the UK....
https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/dab-digital-radio-switchover-fm-uk-11364137002537

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did mention this to the wife...she still wants DAB stations :)

I am wondering if I get the Sony Stereo that was an option on some EcoSports (Sony unit came with DAB) if it would fit straight in and work (as long as I add a DAB ariel etc)

Will do some research

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DAB radio is better for choice, if you like Rock music and Jazz music like myself your screwed with FM, you don't get a choice, you just have to put up with Ed Sheeran style crap all the time and listening to folk talking all the time, today is about choice and with FM you don't get it, I don't have a DAB in my Ecosport, I,ve had it 12 months and never had the FM Radio on can't stand it, listen to other devices all the time.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Since they have done away with the CD player in most cars. Pity! (I loved my multi stacked CD player with 10 CDs fitted in the boot), we do have the option of using the aux socket to connect digital play music or Smart Phone music, and most cars now have a DIN socket as well, for connecting a memory stick full of your own picked music. So we have plenty choice of music in our cars.

PS....Mind you I can remember the marvelous 8 track players in cars, my cousin had one in his small Fiat car and I was so envious when he plugged in a massive cartridge of Tubular bells by Mike Oldfield, and i was blown away. They were actually very poor quality music and warbled on the track a lot, but at the time they were the height of technology, and some car owners still fit them for nostalgic reasons. In fact there is still a company in the Uk selling these brand new but over 40 years old, as 8 track disappeared fast when Audio cassette came in on cars, and the market collapsed for 8 track. So I never got 8 track.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We bit the bullet and got this...its very good. I wish the surround was same piano black as the one removed, but can always get it sprayed to match at later date
will be able to control car setting via the steering controls as well when the part comes in :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts