Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , I’m thinking of buying a 65 plate facelifted ecosport diesel and am wondering , what people’s opinion is of this engine? and indeed what with the uncertainty of diesel fuel in the future , is it worth buying the Diesel engine ?
Best regards Barry

·
Registered
853 Posts
You will find on big and medium sized SUV like the Range Rover Evoque, 80% of the Evoque sold is diesel, and due to the heavy drinking petrol engine only a small amount of big wallet-ed owners buy them.

But..Since the Evoque has moved onto EU6 emissions ingenuim diesel engines, there has been nothing but trouble with it eating adblue at cost and due to having more burn cycles of the DPF filter it is having 'oil dilution' problems with contaminates getting through to the engine oil, requiring oil and filter change every six months.

Now getting onto the smaller SUV's like our Ecosports, most of the owners go for the petrol version, as its quieter, it gives reasonable MPG, and gets us away from complex diesel engine setup to meet EU6 emissions. One of the main reasons I left diesel. I went for the 1.5 petrol back in 2016, but now they are only offering the 1.0 three cylinder petrol that gives a bit more MPG or the diesel, and most Ecosport owners go for a petrol model.

The 1.5 diesel Ecoblue Ecosport comes with Adblue now and has to meet with EU6, so we have a very complex engine, with adblue, more burn cycles, a dpf filter, and possible oil dilution. Compared to a petrol engine which has a 'for life' catalytic convertor and two gas sensors, so less to go wrong.

Your advantage of a diesel engine is more MPG, but the dissadvantages of a such a complex engine to meet emissions has to be weighed up now, and considering diesel is now classed as a dirty fuel by the Government, soon major towns and cities will either ban or hit you with a entrance tax if your car is a diesel, so you may find it difficult to consider diesel nowadays.

My own opinion considering the pros and cons in todays market, if I was buying a new Ecosport is to go for the 1.0 petrol engine. Or if buying secondhand is to avoid a EU6 diesel at all costs, and even any earlier diesel, due to future city bans.

On a future note......likely in the future there will only be hybrid petrol/electric cars for sale and then a while later only 'all electric' cars. In the meantime petrol will do me fine :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts