Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have just registered to this forum and in December 2014 or January 2015 I am going to downsize from my present car a 2014 Kuga 2.0. Titanium X Sport to a Ecosport Titanium X with all the extras as now I have a job with a fair bit of travailing and the Kuga is a bit expensive to run. But now I need a bit of advice off you Ecosporters I don't know to go for the 1.5 Tdci unit or the 1.0. Ecoboost unit as I want a bit of overtaking power plus economy which is best plus would it be possible to fit a reversing camera Thanks .

Edited by: Titaniun X Kev

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

My car is a 2014 Kuga 2.0 TDCi Tit X which is averaging about 44mpg. My wife's EcoSport Titanium has the 1.0 EcoBoost engine and averages about the same mpg as my Kuga. Both cars feel to have (roughly) the same acceleration though the Kuga has double the torque, so much more mid-range 'grunt'.

I like torque, so prefer diesels, but the EcoSport is so much fun to drive that I pinch it whenever I can. The engine note has a real growl when you rev it and is nicely composed When cruising. It sits nicely on a motorway at 80. It lacks the mid-range overtaking power of a diesel, but it all depends on the type of driving you're doing as to which is best.

Now, if we could just persuade Ford to tune the EcoSport for more torque (Fiesta Zetec S has 150lb of torque out of the EcoBoost engine) it would be an easier choice... but I think whichever you buy you'll love. However, it will never be a Kuga...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm slightly biased having had the tdci for two weeks now,however my decision to choose the diesel over and above the three cylinder petrol was twofold
1) because the diesel is a heavy lump I feel the car handles better and the steering is definitely more true.
2) the mpg I've been getting is 49.7 and that's on fairly short runs, and reports I've heard on the ecoboost if pushed is around the mid thirties mpg.Also well impressed with the torque at low to mid range revs, enough to overtake with confidence, and how on a dual carriage it will hit the 70mph with ease.if you are going to do many miles then the diesel is the most frugal!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have reverse sensors fitted and it's not just an audible warning- in the colour screen when you select reverse an image representing the rear of your car with a fan shaped radar image appears,as you reverse there's the audible warning but also the "fan radar decreases" giving you a "virtual visual " as well.so making a camera not really necessary.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never having had the benefit of a parking camera, I can't comment on how useful they are (though wish I'd got the TX Sport version of the Kuga as I believe it's standard...) but think that on the EcoSport reversing sensors are necessary. To make room for the dogs, we have the back seat set in its most upright position which negates the need for a dog guard, but makes it pretty lousy to see out of the back window when reversing.

Pressing on with our EcoSport can get the fuel consumption down, but we've never had it below 40, even with me playing... I do miss the mid range grunt of a Diesel engine though...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mitch, my wife does mainly town driving with occasional runs so we're pretty happy with 44mpg. We haven't taken the car on a long run yet (that's what the Kuga's for) but don't find much variation on a motorway.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
the best Ford EcoSport version, according to experts, is the one powered by 1.5-litre diesel engine, which produces an output of 90 BHP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today I had a running with some members of my family about going from a Kuga to a Ecosport, They said about the poor reviews the Ecosport has eg: Auto Express,Honest John and Auto Car. Is the Ecosport that bad or a they trying to put me off buying one my honest opinion is I don't want another Kuga as I have been there wore the t shirt five times plus they are too common now plus a Fiesta or Focus is to low as I like the high driving position and KA too small that is why I want a Ecosport and be different.

·
Registered
69 Posts
great aditude !!

I in you situation would go to the dealer and ask hin if he would have ES for a testdrive.
My did that in May. She asked for a Ecoboost but got a diesel. Nevertheless, she liked the the ES went. When she returned the the car she wanted to have the spare wheel taken off and a heated windsheeld. Now she waits for the 2016 model.

Go and get it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Having a Kuga (and a white one at that!) I appreciate what you are saying about how common they are. On the other hand, we have had our EcoSport since May and have only seen 1 other on the road since then.

A bad car? Underneath its a Fiesta (engine, gearbox, etc), apparently one of the best small hatchbacks. Ok, not having the Quickclear windscreen is a stupid oversight by Ford but it's up to you if that is a deal breaker. Some of the interior trim looks pretty cheap, but you don't notice it after a while. It's not up to the standards of the Kuga, but neither is the price! The spare wheel on the back is subjective. Some people hate it.

Good points? Interior space, driving position, boot accessibility (ok, the door opens to the side. So?), individuality... I can go on. Would we buy one again? Definitely!

To still be thinking about buying an EcoSport, you obviously have no problem with the looks and trim levels of the car. It all comes down to what you think of it to drive...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't need a test drive as I work for a Ford dealership as a driver and our runner car is a Ecosport. I know that it has no heated front screen but I can live with that and it has no footwell lights but can I get those retro fitted privacy glass we use this place that can fit at a reasonable price but can I fit puddle lights as they are useful on dark nights also a reversing camera I can get a kit from Maplins and my sat nav can be hard wired in.

·
Registered
503 Posts
In my old Focus the wiring used to be there for footwell lights they just didn't fit the connectors. All you needed was the connectors from a Mondeo for a few quid from Ford and an hour or two's work on your driveway!
Otherwise it would just be a case of wiring them into the interior courtesy light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am sorry but I won't be ordering a Ecosport just yet as the present model as a lack of options and if I start to retrofit a lot of thing it may invalidate the warranty I have been told. But I am going to wait for the hopefully improved 2016 Ecosport model with more standard equipment and options.

·
Registered
503 Posts
That's a shame, I guess the negative press and family members finally got to you!
I am looking forward to hearing what they might have in store for 2016 too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts