Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any ideas as to why the ecoboost auto stop-start is not fitted on the ecosport it is on every other ecoboost car in the Ford range just not the ecosport. I have tried contacting Ford direct with no luck and various nonsensical answers from dealerships.

Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Martin, having upgraded from my Fiesta stop/start to the ES, looking under the bonnet of the ES theres not a lot of room to put what has to be a huge battery that there was on my Fiesta. Only my idea don't know if that's the reason. I am now having to get use to the engine running all the time now.
Peter

·
Registered
822 Posts
Likely not on it, as the EcoSport is made in India, and they do not like stopping at the lights :D

Any car I own which has it, i always switch start stop tech off, every journey.
Why is it always default setting as on, insted of off, grrh! :mad:

Reason, it is not good for the starting system, with regard wear with starting and stopping so much.
Also does not do the battery anygood, as it prematurely ages it requiring another, in a few years instead of seven years or more.
Also the saving of fuel is so low, if any, its not worth the bother. It just been imposed on us via Green issues.
Finally and this is the kicker....Its a safety issue as could cut out on you at the worst moment, especially at junctions where they actually operate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Colin
Yes you're right all to do with trying to be "green" which is no bad thing. However my Fiesta had as I said a huge battery and a no ordinary one at that. Very expensive when it comes to changing it. Lots of sensors that check out the system, in fact so clever is the system it sees that if the battery is below a set charge level the stop/start does not come into play until there is a good charge. Now as I have said before the car was 100% reliable from new to when I exchanged it for the ES, but with all that teck on board....well how old is the oldest start/stop model and has it given trouble ?

·
Registered
822 Posts
I know on the range rover evoque website, (the cars been out 6 years now), many have had to replace battery within 2 years.

I think you are in the minority that think it good, as many find ways to dissable it, for example on the evoque there is a secondary small battery dedicated for start stop solinoids, and if disconnected start stop never works Many have done this simple mod..

On the start stop Smart fortwo 451, you can now fit a £20 electronic circuit that disables the start stop every journey, my neighbour did that.

Also many owners on mass (via internet forums) have complained to dealer and demanded that start stop button must be able to give you start off completely, and not having to press every journey. Example: BMW new series 3 cars in the USA, have had to have the software changed to let owners decide if start stop come on or off. This has now been retrofited on their european cars as well, as owners are now demanding choice to switch it on or completely off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
No Colin never thought stop/start was good and now you don't even get the road tax break that the 'green' engine gave you. All water under the bridge now as I love my ES, can't understand why the press didn't. Much better looking than some if not all of it's rivals in my opinion, and I like this style over the new one coming. Ford missed the chance of making it look better with better headlights. Some of the aftermarket jobs on the Indian market look so much better with proper use of LED DTR lights, if Ford would sell them over here I would upgrade

·
Registered
822 Posts
..... Ford missed the chance of making it look better with better headlights. Some of the aftermarket jobs on the Indian market look so much better with proper use of LED DTR lights, if Ford would sell them over here I would upgrade
You could buy them on the internet and get them shipped over, but not sure if Indian market ones would meet EU/European regs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes I ve seen that Colin but as you say not sure if fitting any would affect warranty or such like, so hoping maybe Fordparts UK or a Brit company will one day do it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why? Simple answer is the ES has a LOT of features missing when you compare other Titanium models. You won't see a lot of 'premium' features until the big facelift model is out.
It's only since the last 'upgrade' that we got the heated windscreen back, and still we had to pay extra for that!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I am quite happy without too many electronic gadgets, that can and will go wrong.

I used to go into a dealer and say I want a car with this, blah blah blah.
Now its go into a dealer and say I do not want....

Start stop (wear and tear on engine and battery.
Auto door locking above 5MPH (what if it refuses to open in an accident, and I only get attacked by phesants)
Auto wipers (iffy operation, coming on at weird times and could pack in)
Auto lights (same as above)
Heated front windscreen (you can see the wires via certain angles of the Sun)
Connectivity of any sort to internet (distracting)

I could go on, but to me the only improvement in recent years is having the ignition controlled
by the cars CPU to give a smooth idle and drive, and of course.....cup holders :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am quite happy without too many electronic gadgets, that can and will go wrong.

I used to go into a dealer and say I want a car with this, blah blah blah.
Now its go into a dealer and say I do not want....

Start stop (wear and tear on engine and battery.
Auto door locking above 5MPH (what if it refuses to open in an accident, and I only get attacked by phesants)
Auto wipers (iffy operation, coming on at weird times and could pack in)
Auto lights (same as above)
Heated front windscreen (you can see the wires via certain angles of the Sun)
Connectivity of any sort to internet (distracting)

I could go on, but to me the only improvement in recent years is having the ignition controlled
by the cars CPU to give a smooth idle and drive, and of course.....cup holders :D
To be fair I do agree.

Auto wipers are an annoyance to me, never at the right speed etc and auto headlights always bypass side lights... lol I prefer to be in control on which and when my lights go on and off.

I do wonder how these new cars with touch screens etc will fair in say 10/15 years... Will software just break and no updates are being provided? General computer slow down...will be interesting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Auto STOP START

Likely not on it, as the EcoSport is made in India, and they do not like stopping at the lights :D

Any car I own which has it, i always switch start stop tech off, every journey.
Why is it always default setting as on, insted of off, grrh! :mad:

Reason, it is not good for the starting system, with regard wear with starting and stopping so much.
Also does not do the battery anygood, as it prematurely ages it requiring another, in a few years instead of seven years or more.
Also the saving of fuel is so low, if any, its not worth the bother. It just been imposed on us via Green issues.
Finally and this is the kicker....Its a safety issue as could cut out on you at the worst moment, especially at junctions where they actually operate.
To start the engine takes a lot of electricity out of the battery,this has to be replaced by the alternator, ultimately by the engine,there is a lot of energy conversion with big losses,so you end up using more petrol than if you left the engine idling for a few minutes.
I was told years ago that you have to drive 8 miles to charge the battery after engine start, dont know whether this applies today.
The big battery mentioned is a big give away as to energy used.This is another daft idea IMHO.!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Agreed that stop start is stupid and was imposed on the car buying pubic due to crazy green legislation, and it does nothing except anger drivers, who want it switched off permanently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts