Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had two issues with the battery going flat for no reason, car is only 15 months old with 14500 miles on the clock, car has been into the supplying dealer only for it to come back with the same fault, non start only left for less than 12 hours over night and still went flat/non starter,i get ABS multifunction msg on the dash.

Dealer has just charged the battery and carried out software updates.

Has anyone else had the same issue.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not got a diesel or the new facelift car but can say a few things about battery life on generic new cars....My own car is a 2016 petrol 1.5 engine, and no problem with the battery or charging.

Any car may have alternator problems or regulator problems to charge battery on the move. Thats a warranty issue or if outside warrant get it fixed. The battery itself may be duff and not efficient.

On older designed cars, batteries should last seven years, or even more.

On newer cars there has been battery drain problems with....
1...Start stop technology, which because of the far more start stops per journey, really takes it out on a battery, even a heavy duty battery designed for start stop use, and may need replacing within two years from new. My own opinion having never owning a start stop car but heard bad reports, is just never to use it, as fuel savings is minimal, and wear on car engine and battery is not worth using it. Good example 453 smart car and Range Rover Evoque, many needing replacement batteries under warranty.

2...Newer high spec cars have more electronics running while car is parked, it is called 'parasitic current draw' and the factory spec batteries may be medium Amperhour or low A/h capacity, and many makes of cars now need overnight charge to top up battery with all these electronics running. Good example is Mazda MX5 MK4 with low amperhour battery, can flatten in airport carpark while away on holiday abroad in two weeks, car dead as mutton when you get back. Solution battery charging or instant start pack or needs new higher Amperhour battery.

Over and above that you can get faults that have far more parasitic current draw on faulty electronic components during car parked, draining the battery. Bad earths is one reason for drawing current. Car should be tested for how much current being drawn during engine off and parked to see if battery is being excessively drained compared to spec .. The above Mazda MX5 MK4 for example has been found to use far too much parasitic drain if the cruise control is left on active when parked (a real bad design), so all this increase in electronics is causing weird and wonderful problems with batteries.

Good luck. Another owner might have more info for you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Colin has hit most of the points. However, it may sound obvious BUT are any interior lights left on? The favourite is the boot light which of course can't be seen unless the seat is down.This small light will drain a battery. It is not unknown for the switch on the boot light to become faulty leaving the light on even when the door is shut. Here I speak of the Honda Jazz. Also the ABS light coming on could be just the flat battery causing it.Presumably all is in order when the battery is charged.

Here again I experienced this with a Honda Jazz where they fit a 'torch' battery instead of a decent size one.I was working on a door for about an hour and didn't turn the interior light off. Result flat battery, When I came to try and start I had never seen anything like it. ALL of the warning lights started flashing. The AA man said that was normal. What I could not understand was the headlights were bright not dim the good old test for a low battery.

In the good old days a flat battery was instantly obvious as you got the chatter from the solenoid. Not now.
Whatever it is make sure the dealer sorts it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Freddy....Interior light or hidden boot light left on is one of my greatest fears as its flattens the battery.

I actually have the boot light bulb taken out of its holder in the Ecosport, and cabin lamp switched to off at all times :D

In the past I have used different methods to solve this on other cars i have owned.
1....change the hidden boot light 12V supply to be taken from side light, so the hidden boot light only works if sidelights on and boot switch operates as rear door is opened. A very easy wiring job as its all done in the boot.

2..put a cheap motion sensor 'stick on lamp' with AA batteries in cabin and just keep the existing cabin light switched off.
Position must be carefully placed, or you will trigger lamp when changing gear DOH. (made that mistake >:))

3...remove bulbs from boot light and/or cabin light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts