Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the diesel EcoSport sound like a diesel? How about the strong diesel smell? These would be the only things i don't really like about diesel engines besides the efficiency.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi ecoman77,I test drove the diesel and didn't notice the engine noise. That might imply that it does sound like a diesel as all the cars I have had over the last 10/12 years have been diesels. I liked the drive but with PDF's on all new diesels I find that they are not really worth having, financially, unless you are going to do lots of motorway mileage which I don't do any more.I will say that having had the Ecoboost engine for 2 weeks now I am happy with my choice. Lazy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry, should have read DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Attached to the exhaust to prevent that puff of black smoke that shot out of the exhaust when you put your foot down (in a diesel car). It works by adding some diesel to the particulates at high temperature which causes them to burn off. You are therefore using more diesel and if you don't take the car onto a motorway and give it a good run every now and then (every couple of months at most) the exhaust blocks up a little making the engine sluggish.It is one of the main reasons for diesel engines not being as efficient/economical as they used to be.Lazy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the in-depth info! Really appreciate it!Is there not an option to get the diesel package without the DPF? Or can this be removed after purchasing an EcoSport?
Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
HiI have had the diesel version since last September and am very pleased with it. Mine does not sound like a diesel once warmed up, if you are outside the car when it is idling then it is 'tappety'. It does not smell of diesel fumes either, although I do tend to use the plastic gloves when filling up. As far as the DPF goes if you do not useit for regular short runs eg local shopping trips andgive it an occasionalblast on a dual Carriageway or a longish NSL road for about 20 minutes or so, keeping the revs between 1500 and 3000 rpm (per the handbook)to get it thoroughly warm then all should be good.BOB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts