Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that some also have the problem of the car humming at a certain speed. Mine makes a hum hum noise at about 100 to 110 kmph, no noise before or after that speed. I fitted brand new tyres and the rear wheel bearings was aslo replaced, still the noise. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
857 Posts
62 MPH to 68 MPH...and you have covered the obvious noises like tyre road noise and wheel bearing noise. Is the noise at the back or the front? Sounds like you are concentrating at the back, but noises can transmit anywhere in a car and not easy to detect the location.

A humming noise refers more to a rotational but can be a vibratory mechanical noise, and all you have left is up front where the engine is, either the front wheel bearings or coming from the engine. Also components under the floor pan vibrating, check exhaust system is secure and not hitting anything, petrol tank secure, brake line fixings secure not vibrating, etc.

With the noise only there between these speeds, it will be caused by a resonance frequency when the car hits these speeds.

A good solution: it might be worthwhile getting a mechanic to test the car stationary on a 'rolling road' to check out for the noise at these speeds. Listening by ear and with head phones attached to a vibration probe for the noise from engine. You have to narrow down where the noise is coming from. Then sort it.

I had a humming noise problem on a Citroen C1 years ago, and it was a faulty component in the engine causing resonance at exactly 55 MPH. Though the noise was obviously from the engine so diagnosis was quick. Citroen replaced the engine under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have noticed that some also have the problem of the car humming at a certain speed. Mine makes a hum hum noise at about 100 to 110 kmph, no noise before or after that speed. I fitted brand new tyres and the rear wheel bearings was aslo replaced, still the noise. Any suggestions?
Hi,
I had the same problem with my 2017 ecosport 1.5 tdci, with only 16,000 miles on the clock but my humming noise was only at 60 mph, not before or after, and could not determine wether the noise was from the front or rear, but mostly sounded towards the rear. After serious thought, and the process of elimination resulting in brain freeze, i decided as a last resort to check for free play in all four wheels. Both the front wheels had no play whatsoever, along with the n/s/r. On moving to the o/s/r there was tiny bit of side to side movement, and as the bearings are non adjustable i ordered from ebay a complete hub and bearing ( not expensive ) and after fitting, hey presto !! no noise and quiet as a church mouse. I was later informed by an excellent source ( within ford) that a certain amount of ecosport's where fitted from new with a bad batch of wheel bearings, obviously mine was one. Hope this information helps your plight.
David.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts