Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to this but my 2017 Ecosport titanium was broken into the other night by some scumbags who intended to nick it fortunately the alarm triggered and they ran off not before breaking the door lock and the handle cover reported to police had video from camera cost to repair around £300-£400 Ford told me that these people do not need access to your car key the door can be forced in about 3 seconds and the car can be started and driven away in about 30 seconds so those who have keyless entry beware anyone been able to come up with a solution yet thanks kevin

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, but pity about the circumstances :(

It looks like no matter what entry system you had, these guys were just going to smash their way in.

The method prefered by the more professional thief, entry without damage and drive away, is by piggy backing the signal from your keyless fob in the house, out to the car. Hence keyless entry fobs lying in the house, should be put in a screened bag or box that you can buy, to prevent anyone reading the signal.

I have the basic ecosport and it has the old remote keyfob press button system which only gives the signal when pressed. also has key ignition turn instead of push button start. I prefer that. All other models are keyless and push button start, which to me is less secure.

In the 1980's and 1990's car theft's were rife, and we saw the start of mechanical devices to prevent the car being stolen, like the 'crook lock' you put from steering wheel to pedal, and only slowed down thieves by 30 seconds :D

Alarm sounds to me were useless too, as no-one looked, or wanted to get hurt trying to save anyone else's car.

The best solution to prevent getting your car stolen is an additional electronic immobiliser. I fitted thes on all my cars through the 80's and 90's. You could immobilise your starter, or ignition system (petrol) or your fuel pump.

There are more expensive secondary immobilisers now on the market, that require a combination of existing car switches on the dash to make it start the car.

At the end of the day, is the car expensive enough to make you pay for additional immobilisation, and maybe the car is just going to be stolen by being uplifted by a transporter and taken away for parts.

it is more essential to have insurance, and one that will pay enough back to buy a similar aged car, if it is gone for good.

Hope you get sorted out with repairs soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts