Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last few months I have been getting this error code on my screen at about once every two weeks. It tells me to download files again and retry to install and if the error persists to phone Ford.

Ford give me a pre-recorded message telling me that my dealer can look at any problems. My dealer tells me to bring the car in but only when the error message is on screen. This is impossible due to the frequency of the error occuring and me probably being nowhere near the dealer.
I have read something about downloading an update to my laptop and transdferring this to the car. I know nothing about this. Not mentioned by the dealer. No prompt either in car or on laptop that this is necessary.
I have also heard it suggested that this is about updating satnav. My satnav appears to be updating anyway as it is aware of recent roadworks.
Can anyone help please.
David

·
Registered
807 Posts
Have you or the dealership been uploading software on the Sync3 system as you can get that error message?

Here is an example of a guy trying to update on the 'Ford Fiesta club' site, and kept getting same Sync3 error which means it is not inputing the update correctly..

I personally would never update the software, plus i have no sat nav on my Sync3 as I have the base model Ecosport, so no need for updates. You should be telling the dealership that some updates have been added incorrectly as the error message keeps coming up (and was not added by you) and they should investigate.

I am not sure if there are other software updates for other Sync3 systems, other then just sat nav.

Note: about the sat nav to prevent confusion (on the facelift ecosport with higher trim models)...

1...A software update for the Sat nav maps should only be done after a number of years, when new roads or existing roads have changed. IE, this is a road map update.

2...Sync3 gives you real time road traffic and road work updates in real time. So there is information streaming into your Sync3. IE, As you say..."My satnav appears to be updating anyway as it is aware of recent roadworks".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to those who have replied re: Error Code: PKG_ERR03
When I bought my Ecosport in October 2018 I was told that I didnt need to update the satnav as it was done automatically and that seems to be the case as I have been given diversions on recently started road works. I assume that this means that I have Sync3. According to the dealer's description my car specification is: "New Ecosport (00F) 5 Door ST-Line 1.0 EcoBoost 125PS (Petrol) Automatic 2018.75"

I have not been making any attempt to update any software. It was with the dealer in October 2019 for a 12 month check-up. Although they didnt tell me that they made any software adjustments they may have done so and, if they did, that may be the source of the problem.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have never done a software update in my life in a car which requires a download off the internet onto a memory stick or SD card depending on make of car, as I have never owned a car with a central info display system (until now) with my newish 2019 Ecosport. my prevous 2016 EcoSport had none of this stuff.

I would base updates in a car similar to an update with windows computers, as with windows when you update, something always ends up going wrong with the computer from niggely faults to the 'black or blue screen of death', hence the reason my Win 7 computer has never had any updates added ever over the years, and it works fine.

I would question what are these updates about with Sync3 other than sat nav map updates, why do you need them? Why should an owner have to do it if it is really necessary. If they are necessary according to Ford, then the dealership should instal them during your servicing, and not you. And i bet they install updates wrong as well.

As I said i have the base Zetec trim and although I do not have sat nav it does have a sync3 screen, and have no intentions to do any updates ever, and I would want Ford to explain to me at a service why they would want to do any updates and what they are for, before i would let them do it, as there is so many things that can go wrong with the software due to updates.

Unfortunately this update system in any make of car can lead to software problems, its just another crazy aspect of modern cars, with a lot of not needed technology that goes wrong. (disclaimer..thats my opinion).

·
Registered
278 Posts
I used to be able to dismantle engines with no workshop manual and put them back to gether and they worked. I used to be able to understand most things on a motor car BUT now reading the post about the SYNC 3 I freely admit it is well a bove my understanding, perhaps its an age thing but after two attempts it can stay un updated. Last service I asked if the dealer would do it while they were servicing the car. Stunned look, then' it would have to come in for at least 2 hrs and there would be a charge'!¬!!!!! Somewhere I have read that it would be a free service. Now reading about these bright young things having problems I am afraid it's back to the road atlas.
I really do not understand WHY everything has to be so flipping difficult in an age where everyone is expected to understand the constant gobbledegook that is used for instructions.
A couple of days ago our Toshiba DVD Player/Recorder decided to ignore instructions. Local shop who will repair stuff just said if we can't repair it, it will be a job to replace it. WHY? well I went on line to see what the damage would be for a new one IF you can find one, well £275 because it is HDD etc. We are told there is no call for this type of machine and yet I am sure recently it was said on TV there was an upsurgance in DVD's etc.
Like the sat nav on the car, WHY does an update need to be so complicated. BUT then I am an old duffer of nearly 79. ,Yes I can read an instruction book providing it's written in English. Problem being, as in the Ecosport handbook, it appears to have been written in German ( judging by the instructions to use the sat nav) then translated into English. With the vehicle made in Romania and parts in the Czech republic, we don't stand a chance. One thing about this forum you can at least have a good moan.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In all probability car electronics are not affected BUT after I had my moan about our DVD recorder I read an article in the latest edition of Computer Active. Headed the Y2020 Bug. Well it seems our little DVD recorder was a victim of this. At the end of the 1990's the world realised a huge problem was on the horizon. The manufacturers had only produced computers and their spin offs to recognise TWO digits. So when 1999 bowed out the computer was rodgered. A great deal of money ($500 bn) was spent on telling the world what to do and a fix was done BUT they didn't think about 2020. It seems they were not thinking that far ahead probably assuming that built in obsolesence would mean equipment would not last. Most companies have now addressed to problem but some have not.14000 parking meters in New York declined credit card transactions. Our DVD machine just had a hissy fit. The answer has been more problematical that 2000 as they have had to make machines that can cope with FOUR digits instead of TWO. This was an expensive reprogramming and according to the Computer Active only 20% of systems received this fix. Most devices now will recognise 2020 and not 1920. There is however a new problem 19th January 2038, I shan't be here!!! The clocks in 32 bit system can only count up to a certain number of seconds ( 2,147,483,647 ) and they stop on this date. The system measures time from 1970. 68 yrs from 1970 gives you 2038. 18 yrs to defuse the next time bomb. I have precied this BUT I think the gist is there. Perhaps this is the reason why SatNav won't update. All I know is we have had to shell out for a hard drive DVD recorder when all that is wrong with our old one is the clock. Progress. Incidentally we were not the only ones who had problems, the .Eengineer who tried to fix ours spoke of several others. He was very interested in the article as nobody it seems in the TV repair business had passed this information on.

·
Registered
807 Posts
We have three DVD players that work fine in the house, but I never have the correct time set on them, the time just flashes, and I unplug them every night if they have been used. I unplug everything except the fridge at night, and have smoke and heat detectors everywhere, as I have an irrational fear of electrical fires possibly happening when I am asleep.

I do not have any TV recorders since they got rid of VHS tape LOL, so no need to have anything continuously plugged in, except as stated our fridge.

So thats how to beat the 2020 bug :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts