Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I'm new to the site.
I am the proud owner (3weeks) of a 2014 register 1.5 tdi titanium.
I'm hoping some one out there may have fitted some extra driving / spot lights to their ecosport and may be able to help me out with the best way to go about it!
Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum :D

Some owners have tried hooking into the fuse box leading to problems due to the cars computer.

The best way with modern cars, is to use your own wiring (not the cars loom), and use the car battery as the 12V source.

Here is a diagram to hook up extra lights based on 2 x 70W. Use 4mm for the lights wiring and 1.5mm for the control relay wiring.

You need a power relay as shown and wire it through a new cabin switch and connect to existing lights depending on how you want them to operate. (The cabin switch shown is non- illuminating, but you can buy an illuminating one if you want, by hooking its internal light from the switch wire feed, through its light and then down to earth, so it lights when the new lights go on).

I have shown the way to get the new lights working only when the dipped lights are om, though you could instead connect that wire to the side lights instead, so your new lights will operate after side lights are on. This control switching prevents your new lights staying on after you leave the car, no matter the cabin switch position.

You will have to go through the front bulkhead with the 1.5mm control wiring using either existing holes or new one drilled, fix rubber grommit in bulkhead and seal with silicon sealer to prevent any rain water ingress.

I would also add a small in-line fuse of 5A for protection of the 1.5mm control wiring at where you are hooking up to the existing lights, its not really needed but is extra protection, that i usually put in (not shown in diagram).

Any more questions, ask away. Cheers Colin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Colin thanks for your reply
I am thinking of using a wiring kit like this one on amazon:-
XCSOURCE Universal Wiring Fog Light Driving Lamps Wiring Harness Fuse Switch Relay for Automotive SUV MA653
I was hoping that some one may have found a route through as I'm not keen on drilling holes in a "new "
car,
Thanks again
Peter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
I've been poking around under the bonnet with a muti meter trying to the live switched feed to the main beam I think I need some thinner probes! , being a lazy sort I don't want to take the head light as they never seem to go back right and need re adjusting.
2 questions 1. Does any one know the colour code on the cable to the main beam?
2. How does the electrical conection come apart it does seem want to budge and I don't want to brake it or the light?
Local ford dealer has not bothered to ring or email back !!
Thanks
Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts