Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Colin for previous answer to original post. I believe that to comply with currant uk law I have to wire to the main beam.
I posted the below in the reply box on the original post, not the best place for it me thinks !!!

Hi
I've been poking around under the bonnet with a muti meter trying to find the live switched feed to the main beam I think I need some thinner probes! , being a lazy sort I don't want to take the head light as they never seem to go back right and need re adjusting.
2 questions 1. Does any one know the colour code on the cable to the main beam?
2. How does the electrical conection come apart it does seem want to budge and I don't want to brake it or the light?
Local ford dealer has not bothered to ring or email back surprise surprise !!!!!!
Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi Peter, realised switching of the relay needed to take place, but at least you know its main beam.

As for wiring diagrams, no owner has them, but this is how to check for the live feed without disturbing connections.

Can you trace the wires from the socket of the main beam, there should be two to operate bulb, the live feed wire (when switched on)and the earth wire. You may be lucky and see the colour codes.

Now go further back in the harness and slowly untape a bit of the harness so you can get access to the wires, you then find the two wires and one at a time slice off a small length of insulation, (do not cut wire in two), and test with point meter probe set on 12V detection, make sure main bean is on. If it is not 12V then thats the earth wire, so just black tape up over the cut off bit of insulation.

If it is not that wire then it has to be the other, so do the same slice off and test for 12V. Once finished and you know thats the cable, either do a joint or use Scotch connector to tee off it, to power the control side of the relay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again Colin

some how the topic came up last night whilst out to dinner for our anniversary (!!).
The suggestion was similar to yours but instead of shaving of the insulation or was to use a large sewing needle and pierce the insulation.
If I have got the right set of wires there are 4 going to the connector on the back of the headlight unit.
Thanks again
Peter

·
Registered
853 Posts
The insertion of a needle probe used to be the answer, but a lot of car cabling nowadays is so thin, compared to the old days, and it may be difficult to do that.

Anyway a needle or shaving off a bit of insulation works.

So you should have your extra lights working soon :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts