Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just joined the Ecosport owners club. I have an Ecosport trend. It does not have fog lights as standard. I have bought fog lights (not ford oem but aftermarket compatible ones) and I have installed them on the standard Ford harness. The fog lights work up to the relay in the fuse box cause if I short the relay contacts on the power switching side the fog lights come on. This means the cabling to the fog lights work. The Ford dealership said I needed a different switch in the dash which I bought from Ford and installed. Still no luck with the fog light. (see attached pics of the two different type switches). Checked all fuses and relays are present but I cant get fog lights to work. Do they have to be enabled via the ECU? I am at a bit of a dead end. Can anyone give me some help or some advice? Thanx Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have just joined the Ecosport owners club. I have an Ecosport trend. It does not have fog lights as standard. I have bought fog lights (not ford oem but aftermarket compatible ones) and I have installed them on the standard Ford harness. The fog lights work up to the relay in the fuse box cause if I short the relay contacts on the power switching side the fog lights come on. This means the cabling to the fog lights work. The Ford dealership said I needed a different switch in the dash which I bought from Ford and installed. Still no luck with the fog light. (see attached pics of the two different type switches). Checked all fuses and relays are present but I cant get fog lights to work. Do they have to be enabled via the ECU? I am at a bit of a dead end. Can anyone give me some help or some advice? Thanx Tony
Please contact with ford they will reprogram your ECU to enable fog lamp. As they keep it disabled in Trend model (atleast in india)

·
Registered
794 Posts
This why when I add any lighting extras myself, I just use new lights, new wiring, new switches, new relays, and take my own power off the
battery or fuse box, be it 'a continious 12V' or 'an ignition 12V', so to avoid any computer interaction and need to be programmed 'enabled' to work.

I never use wiring from the existing loom, as ECU programming comes into play.

I mean its just lighting, not rocket science, though car manufaturers want to make it that way, LOL :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Seems to have answered your question!

If it's not expensive it is the best option link up the ecu at Ford dealer, but the switch just fires up the relay when it has power, have you tried running a live from the battery to the switch it should open the relay if the switch wire leads to the relay. You could just run that live via a fuse permanent if it works.

Can not see the back of the switch presume the fog lights have there own supply fed by the looks of it via the ecu? or is it not that easy does it draw from the head light supply as I presume lights need to be on before the fog lights work?.

I Would go out look at mine but it's too cold outside LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hallo
Just fitted fog lights on my 2015 Trend.
I bought the fog lights from ford, got the light plugs from a fiesta at a scrap yard and soldered them in.
Then I activated the fog lights in the CPU using Forscan.
Did not need the new switch, the old switch as in the OP works just fine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I did the same on my previous 2016 base spec Zetec Ecosport as it did not come with fog lights.
In fact the base model comes without a lot of items LOL.

I bought secondhand Ford Ecosport fog lights and brackets off Ebay.

I did not do any of that fancy code activation stuff that you did, its good if you can do it, as I no nothing about car computers other than an OBII reader for reading fault codes, and why should a simple thing like a fog light circuit be through computer control anyway. Total crazy.
This is what happens nowadays when they allow computer whizz kids to design cars :D

Instead I just used old fashioned car wiring which I installed, plus fuses, a 30A power relay and a seperate switch on the dash to control the fog lights. Used 1mm cable for control, and 4mm for power wiring to fog lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts