Ford Ecosport Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had our Ecosport for some 6 months, I am impressed with it. I did post my feeling about the rear parcel shelf and how easy it is to forget to drop it down but that is a case of old memories forgetting fundamentals.
HOWEVER, yesterday on my fortnightly trip from Launceston to Truro along the A30 we had the mother and father of a rain storm. Given the spray and the volume of the rain I went to switch the fog lights on as ordinary lights were not enough. Visibility was down to about 50 metres. The auto headlights performed well BUT having to look down under the steering column to find the switch for the fog lights was a little intimidating given eyes should have been 100% on the road ahead.
When vehicles receive their TYPE certificate, who does it? Surely the examiner should have picked that one up OR is it our EU masters who decide?
Given the stupid indicators on Peugeot and Audi, that silly slit in the rear light cluster, who ever checks these vehicles must be either in the pocket of the manufacturers OR the EU suit bottom polishing brigade.
Sorry rant over, I still like the car and am still amazed at the performance of that tiddler of an engine.:eek:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I do not mind where switches are as long as they are physical switches ;)

This tendency for non-physical switches on new cars, ie, software switches drives me nuts.

For instance both my wife and myself hates auto-locking, where doors auto lock after the cars moves away above 5 MPH.
I can see the need for locked doors in inner cities and the danger of carjacking, but where we live in Scotland the most danger we have is getting hit by a deer, sheep or a pheasant, so locking is not neccessary :D

I always fear in an accident the doors would not unlock (and do not believe the car sales brouchure that they will unlock in an accident)

We have disabled auto-locking in all the recent cars we have owned, and as it uses software switches, and in many cars it is a combination of ignition start along with other switches to either enable or disable the auto-locking, most times i give up and have to go to the dealer to get them to sort it out.

Another example of this is 'service reset' on some cars, making it very difficult to reset as you need to do a combination of moves in a specific time interval, and does my head in. Why not just have a physical switch, grrrrh, (rant over >:))

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree whole heartedly, nothing more reassuring than a switch you can decide what it does. Still I am a hypocryte as I do like the auto headlights. They are excellent. On the Honda, it had them BUT it did not recognise mist which the west country suffers more than a little as would bonny Scotland. The Ford even turns the headlights on when we get fuel as you go under awning. Yes there is still the switch if you need to control them.I am pleased to say that our Titanium does NOT have this auto locking. After all right beside my right hand is a switch that locks the doors. So as colinJYD says YOU control the car. My gripe with the fog light switch was it is completely hidden by the steering wheel, with the seat/ steering wheel where I want them.
Still one switch I like very much is that one that switches on the heated seat and the other switch for the steering wheel, yes a luxury BUT oh so nice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts