Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Search engine giant Google is in talks with Ford to join forces in the race towards driverless cars, according to sources. Google's been working on its own autonomous driving prototype for a while but with the might of Ford's manufacturing behind it the project may just step into a higher gear. If the reports are accurate we expect a formally announcement to be made at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January.

Source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/93884/ford-and-google-to-team-up-on-driverless-car-project

·
Registered
975 Posts
We can see by these real life video examples is that sensors are not good enough and electronics can breakdown and can go haywire, and are not deemed suitable to protect your life, if you are relying on a car to drive itself.

The one example where I live in the country, is watching out for deer crossing the fields at speed, some can be really heavy and damage a car, and could hurt or kill the occupants in the resulting crash (see diagram below). Now as a driver I can spot a deer over the stone walls as it runs towards the road, and can anticipate it jumping into the road, and so I slow down so the deer and I live another day. Unfortunately sensors in a car are not good enough and would have no time to spot the deer jumping the wall onto the road and slow the car down in time. This is why autonomous cars are so dangerous, and cannot think why Governments are desperate to introduce them, other than cost saving by removing taxi drivers, bus drivers and truck drivers earning a living. If you think otherwise, join in the conversation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts