Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford is launching a scrappage scheme to encourage people to purchase newer, cleaner models of Euro 6 specification.

The initiative, which runs from 1 September to 31 December, will pay owners of Euro 1 to Euro 4 cars and vans (sold up to around 2010) £2000 for their vehicle if they buy a new Ford. The company said the scheme aims to remove as many older vehicles from Britain’s roads as possible, replacing them with Euro 6-compliant cars.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ford-launches-scrappage-scheme-pre-euro-5-vehicles

·
Registered
855 Posts
If wanting to buy a Euro6 diesel, You have to realise that Euro6 diesel cars are a can of worms leading to many makes of car having the following 'expensive' problems.

The cost of adblue can be significant, as many makes are drinking the stuff, and is very costly due to the amount you did not expect to have to buy.

A new factor due to Euro6 cars and adblue additive has lead to quicker dilution of engine oil content in the sump, thus needing an oil change far more often. A well known problem in the new designed EU6 ignium engines of the Range rover/ land rover range, like the Evoque. RR/LR have stated they are not going to solve this, but instead say that their cars just need more oil changes under warranty. (OK, under warranty, but costly out of warranty).

Because of the above, and the now 'non-eco' status of diesel cars, which may lead to penalisation of diesels in cities via congestion tax or out right banning in the future, I have moved back to petro after many years with diesel Hence my reason this time for buying a 1.5 petrol Ecosport.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have posted this second comment as it is a separate subject about the cons of scrappage scheme that you have to watch out for.

Most scrappage schemes sound great and are brilliant for those with an old duff car, where they can get £2000 for it. But.....

Watch that the price of the new car has not gone up, to counter the £2000. It happens.

When I bought a new Citroen C1 in 2006 it was £6000.
Citroen introduced the scrappage scheme two year later and the same car had now jumped to £8000, which was a very fast increase in price for a car that was not worth £8000. Hence you did not really get £2000 off the car, as the dealers were making the same profit, which was a real con to the buyer, who had not been watching car prices.

Not saying Ford dealerships are going to do this, but car buying/selling is a very dirty and greedy business, and dealers try to get as much as possible out of you, so as the Romans said in their day...Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I do agree with both points, particularly the second one. I don't think for one minute Ford are doing this out of some environmental conscience, got to be in it to make money so I'm sure there is a 'catch' somewhere.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The worst 'catch' I ever got was from Arnold Clarck Vauxhall, as I went to their '3 year free servicing weekend, which they have once each year, and decided to buy a Vauxhall Mokka, and get the free servicing package.

I got a price for the new car which they did not have in stock in red, which i wanted, I got a price for my trade-in and all was going well, ready to sign for the car. Then I asked for my 3 year free servicing package, and thats when it went wrong, as they said NO :eek:

Reason: Small print (that you never see) stated that your new car or even a bought secondhand car must be driven off the forecourt within 2 weeks to qualify for free servicing. And my new Mokka was four weeks delivery, unless I took a car from stock, which was not red. Crazy catch!

I got up, angry, and left in disgust, and a week later I ordered my Red Ecosport, and think I got the better car :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't blame you. You would think they would honour that deal but I've heard some horror stories about Arnold Clarke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts