Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this isn't new tech, a couple of years old at least. My missus is getting a new puma (supposed to be march, pff ) and that's when I noticed them.
I think any ford car with keyless entry can have these 'anti theft keys' for their car. basically, after 40 seconds of the key fob being stationary it stops transmitting any signals.

they look like a good idea on the face of it at least.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I quite like the looks of the Puma, though it is a bit lower to ride in compared to our Ecosports, which is one of the main reasons I bought the Ecosport. Mind you the Puma is a good alternative if your looking for a change. What colour did you go for? Do they do the roof in another colour like they do now on the Ecosport?

As for current keyless entry fobs on Ecosports and many other makes of cars, I agree they are more susceptible to piggyback signal attack by thieves (relay attack), so that they can get the continuous signal from your house to your car, and the doors will open. Plus the start button does not help as there is no physical turn key. You can counter this by putting the keyless fobs at home or even walking about outside, in a faraday cage type pouch or box to stop the signal getting out.

Examples....

Nowadays only the cheaper trim new cars come with the old unlocking/locking and start system which to me was far more secure, I have this on my Ecosport as its the base model, and the only model with a push button keyfob that only fires the signal to open or close doors when the button is pressed, and also has a physical key to turn the ignition on. This I really liked, sticking with the old system.

Anyway the Puma (and likely all new Fords with keyless entry) now comes with the latest keyless system that turns the signal off after 40 seconds, and so defeats piggyback attack. I would still put the keyfob in a Faraday pouch when not in use, but that just cautious old me LOL.

Advancement in design to reduce the need of a button press by the driver (keyless systems), somehow has translated to a far less secure car. Hence why this signal cutoff has been introduced.

·
Registered
975 Posts
GHOST IMMOBILISER....
If anyone is still very concerned about the lack of security in a keyless entry car, then they can get an aftermarket ghost immobiliser fitted. Usually its fitted to dearer cars, as its quite expensive at £450 upwards depending on make, and works using existing switches within the car to start it up, by pressing a sequence of the existing switches on the dash in a certain order. You can programme the order of the switch presses. Just do not forget the order LOL.

An example...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I quite like the looks of the Puma, though it is a bit lower to ride in compared to our Ecosports, which is one of the main reasons I bought the Ecosport. Mind you the Puma is a good alternative if your looking for a change. What colour did you go for? Do they do the roof in another colour like they do now on the Ecosport?

As for current keyless entry fobs on Ecosports and many other makes of cars, I agree they are more susceptible to piggyback signal attack by thieves (relay attack), so that they can get the continuous signal from your house to your car, and the doors will open. Plus the start button does not help as there is no physical turn key. You can counter this by putting the keyless fobs at home or even walking about outside, in a faraday cage type pouch or box to stop the signal getting out.

Examples....

Nowadays only the cheaper trim new cars come with the old unlocking/locking and start system which to me was far more secure, I have this on my Ecosport as its the base model, and the only model with a push button keyfob that only fires the signal to open or close doors when the button is pressed, and also has a physical key to turn the ignition on. This I really liked, sticking with the old system.

Anyway the Puma (and likely all new Fords with keyless entry) now comes with the latest keyless system that turns the signal off after 40 seconds, and so defeats piggyback attack. I would still put the keyfob in a Faraday pouch when not in use, but that just cautious old me LOL.

Advancement in design to reduce the need of a button press by the driver (keyless systems), somehow has translated to a far less secure car. Hence why this signal cutoff has been introduced.
Hi Colin
Thanks for the response... me and my missus are both gadget freaks so there is no way we would not go for as many toys as we could afford... Im keeping my ecosport 18 plate 1.5 diesel as it has lots of toys and only got 21000 miles.. And as you say it's a bit higher ride, and as i'm 59 this year that's only a good thing :)..

as you asked we have gone for the st line X solar silver with:
Panorama Roof
Driver Assistance Pack
Handsfree Power Tailgate
winter pack

we are planning on keeping this car, as my missus only does about 8000 a year... so it should last ( fingers crossed.)
we ordered in december with a initial delivery date of March ( ha we knew that was not realistic.) if we can get it before May we would be happy with that, but hopefully end of may at the latest...

thanks JIm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts