Ford Ecosport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am at the age now were I probably will not replace my 18 plate ecosport high spec. its more likely I will pass it to my (currently 13 yr old daughter) to trade in when she passes her test. She will become my taxi, ha ha revenge is sweet :)

** Background** I had a Kuga previously & received a random call from a person who had trouble with the gear box in my old Kuga. He asked me if I had the oil in the gear box changed at 59000 miles as recommended by ford, as he was in dispute with them. With this in mind I want to make sure all the bases are covered in regard to recalls & warranty/issues.

Basically I'm asking is there a list of services and extra "jobs" that i can get officially from ford. If my daughter decides to keep my car then it will be all good for her, in this regard... sorry for the long post, thanks in advance

·
Registered
975 Posts
Recalls are irrespective of service or warranty.
Mind you a lot of faults that become common on a car should be a recall, and if its not safety related, these firms get away with not doing it. Example Ford had the pinto engine for a long time (on Capri Cortina and other Fords)and it was known its overhead cam was damaged easily due to lack of oil getting to it. This was due to the overhead oil pipe sizing up if the oil got dirty, so you needed to change the oil every six months or end up paying for a new overhead cam. I got that on my Capri and cost me £100, which was a lot back then. Ford did not change this design flaw by a recall, so got millions of pounds profit fixing peoples overhead cam.

Servicing, really only matters the first three years of warranty, to keep the warranty. After that you either do your own servicing, or take to an independent garage (example, Halfords charge around £165 for a full service/year, but is just an oil and filter change, a pollen cabin filter change, and an air filter change, plus say 60 physical checks, mostly eyeballing any potential faults). Just the exact same as a dealership service LOL.

If you pay for an extended warranty, further servicing is required for the warranty. (But beware: Extended warranties can be expensive, and there a lot of small print exceptions to repair work, as the car is older, they can wangle out of doing things).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - it looks like Ford say a service every 2 years, have I got that right? Thinking will do oil and filter change every year but only do about 7000 p.a. Would value your thoughts please.

·
Registered
975 Posts
According to the Petrol engine servicing its every year. I got my 2019 petrol Ecosport serviced every year to retain warranty. Oil and oil filter should be every year. TIP: I always mark the oil filter with a specific scrape mark from a screwdriver, so I know they have changed it. (I never trust servicing personnel, lazy twats). Cabin Pollen filter is every second service (two years).

Here is the Ford chart for servicing. I have ticked a green tick where I agree.

Here are my arguments about the rest of service....
The cabin pollen filter they do change at 2nd service, but most of the time its just a way to get more cash, depends on how dirty the roads you are on. If the car is on low mileage, I bet they do not change it and still charge you for one.

Engine coolant, do not agree with 15,000 miles (unless they mean changing the entire coolant and check coolant pipes and connections, and then I still would not agree at 15,000, I change it if it gets manky, and that could be years later). But you should inspect the coolant level on the expansion tank yourself at least every three months, and top up if required. I have owned cars that burn off anti-freeze coolant rapidly due mainly to higher speed motorway driving and need constant topping up, Other cars I have owned where it hardly ever moves. My ecosport only rarely needs a slight topping up.

Brake fluid change at 10,000 miles is rubbish, you can refuse to have that done as it costs a lot, and the car manufacturer is out to make money. Brake fluid will last for many years, 2 min to say 6 years max, and should only be considering changing earlier if you are having brake problems, like air in the system, etc

Engine air filter, not mentioned on schedule, but should have be on it, think it was just missed out, as it should be changed every 2nd service (2 or 3 years). On old cars you used to get away without changing air filter for double or triple that time LOL, but modern cars being computer controlled, do need a good air supply to engine, or some sensors can act up and you get fault codes, so best to change the air filter more often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts